Congress lawmaker hails Sonia after taking oathJuly 31st, 2012 - 8:24 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 31 (IANS) Congress leader Sanjay Dutt, who was sworn-in as a new member of the Maharashtra Legislative Council Tuesday, created a flutter when he uttered a slogan in party chief Sonia Gandhi’s favour after taking the oath.
He was among the 11 members of different political parties who were administered the oath by Council Chairman Shivajirao Deshmukh Tuesday.
After taking the oath, Dutt said: “Jai Hind, Jai Maharashtra and Jai Sonia Gandhi,” taking the gathering by surprise.
“This was not planned. It is my complete faith in Madam Soniaji’s leadership as an ordinary soldier of the Congress party that the words just came out spontaneously,” Dutt told IANS after the ceremony.
He said that all party workers at all levels have immense faith in the Congress president. “So what is wrong if we express our affection for her?”
Besides Dutt, others who took oath included state Congress chief Manikrao Thakre and Sharad Ranpise (all from Congress), and Jaidev Gaikwad, Amarsinh Pandit and Narendra Patil (all Nationalist Congress Party).
From the opposition side, Bharatiya Janata Party’s Vijay Girkar and Ashish Shelar, Peasants & Workers Party’s Jayant Patil and Shiv Sena’s Anil Parab and Vinayak Raut were also sworn-in.
- Sonia to select Mumbai, Maharashtra Congress chiefs - Sep 14, 2010
- Ajit Singh sworn-in union minister - Dec 18, 2011
- Maharashtra Cabinet expanded to 31 ministers - Nov 19, 2010
- Prithviraj Chavan meets Ashok Chavan ahead of swearing-in-ceremony - Nov 11, 2010
- Chavan to enter Maharashtra legislature through upper house - Mar 11, 2011
- Ajit Singh sworn-in union minister (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi assesses Congress' strength in Maharashtra - Apr 27, 2012
- Maharashtra may ban controversial book on Gandhi - Mar 30, 2011
- Give us water, Maharashtra villagers tell Rahul (Second Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- Maharashtra opposition slams government on Kripashankar - Mar 02, 2012
- Sankaranarayanan to be sworn-in for second term as Maharashtra governor - May 05, 2012
- State cabinet ministers swearing-in Thursday - Nov 17, 2010
- NCP to stay in UPA but attend no function, skips PM's dinner (Roundup) - Jul 23, 2012
- Sankaranarayanan sworn in as Maharashtra governor for second term - May 07, 2012
- Jostling for cabinet berths in Mumbai ahead of swearing-in - Nov 11, 2010
Tags: ashish, congress leader, congress president, council chairman, deshmukh, janata party, jayant, narendra, nationalist congress party, opposition side, ordinary soldier, party chief, raut, sanjay dutt, sharad, shiv sena, sonia gandhi, state congress, vinayak, workers party