Congress lacks will to fight Maoists: BJPApril 15th, 2010 - 2:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 15 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Thursday slammed the Congress, saying it looked a divided house lacking the “will power” to fight Maoist guerrillas.
“What is disturbing is the division in the Congress government over its fight against the Naxalites. Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh has criticised the home minister (P. Chidambaram). Former minister Mani Shankar Aiyar is also targeting the government and so is Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee,” BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad told IANS outside parliament.
The BJP leader said the Congress betrayed “its lack of will power to fight the Naxals”.
Prasad said the opposition was deeply hurt because the government did not make a statement on its own in parliament, which resumed Thursday, over the Dantewada massacre in which 76 security personnel “laid their lives in Chhattisgarh fighting Naxalites (Maoists)”.
Leaders of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA), led by the BJP, are demanding a debate and a statement from the government.
He said: “What these leaders don’t believe is that Maoists are a threat to our internal security.”
In an article published in a national daily, Digvijay Singh made scathing remarks against Chidambaram accusing him of being “extremely rigid once he makes up his mind”.
He said he “differed with (Chidambaram’s) strategy that does not take into consideration the people living in the affected area who ultimately matter”.
Aiyar at a conference Wednesday said Singh is “one lakh percent right”.
- Digvijay regrets row over his Chidambaram comments - Apr 29, 2010
- After opposition salvo, Chidambaram says open to talks with Maoists (Intro Roundup) - Apr 15, 2010
- Digvijay Singh blames Raman Singh for Maoist attack - May 20, 2010
- Militants, Maoists thrived during Digvijay rule: Minister - Jan 13, 2011
- Congress communalising war against terror: BJP - Jul 18, 2011
- Sonia ticked me off for criticising Chidambaram: Digvijay (Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Silent PM, talkative Congress members (Comment) - Sep 04, 2010
- Air power should be limited to Bastar, says Congress MP - May 19, 2010
- UPA lacks will to fight Naxals, says Yashwant Sinha - Apr 15, 2010
- Digvijay should raise issues at party forum: Congress - Apr 15, 2010
- Chidambaram has diluted approach against Maoists: BJP - May 19, 2010
- BJP for united fight against Maoists, slams Congress (Lead) - Apr 15, 2010
- Naxalism continues to threaten internal security, says Chidambaram - Feb 01, 2011
- Chidambaram: Always in the news, for right or wrong (One Year of UPA-II: Security) - May 20, 2010
- Digvijay Singh opposes use of air power against Maoists - May 18, 2010
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, congress government, digvijay singh, general secretary, home minister, internal security, lakh, mamata banerjee, mani shankar aiyar, maoist, maoist guerrillas, maoists, national democratic alliance, naxalites, prasad, railway minister, ravi shankar, scathing remarks, security personnel