Congress in Kerala finalising candidatesMarch 7th, 2009 - 4:40 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, March 7 (IANS) The Congress in Kerala is in the process of finalising candidates for the Lok Sabha elections, state party chief Ramesh Chennithala said Saturday.
A nine-member team led by party general secretary Mohsina Kidwai is busy shortlisting the candidates.
Chennithala said the “winnability factor” would be the basis for choosing candidates.
“This time it would be a mix of youth and experience. A list will be formed and sent to the party central screening committee, which would pass it on to (party president) Sonia Gandhi,” he said. The process would end by March 15.
“If there is a judicious distribution of seats this time, we will sweep the elections. But if they do the same mistake of fielding old faces, it is going to be tough,” said a Congress leader.
Kerala has 20 Lok Saba seats, of which the Congress - the major partner in the United Democratic Front - has been contesting 17 seats for long. In 2004, the Congress failed to win even a single seat.
In the list of contenders are Ramesh Chennithala, Mullapaly Ramachandran, A.C. Jose, V.M. Sudheeran and Kodikunil Suresh. There are also V.S. Sivakumar, V.S. Vijayaraghavan, P.C. Chacko, M.I. Shahnawaz, Benny Behanan and Anto Antony.
P.J. Kurian is not in the race this time as he is in the Rajya Sabha. Former UN under secretary general Shashi Tharoor is a strong contender.
With veteran politician K. Karunakaran not the same force he was in the past, it would be leaders like A.K. Antony, Vayalar Ravi, Oommen Chandy and Chennithala who would call the shots.
- Chandy, Chennithala to name Congress candidates - Mar 12, 2011
- 'Some minister's personal staff run Kerala government - Jul 29, 2012
- Former CPI-M MP applies for Congress membership - May 14, 2010
- 50 percent newcomers, women, youth likely in Congress' Kerala list - Mar 23, 2011
- Congress readies list of candidates in Kerala - Mar 15, 2011
- Kerala state Congress gears up for revamp - Aug 05, 2012
- Keep the flock together, Sonia Gandhi tells Kerala leaders - May 25, 2011
- Kerala may get a tribal woman minister - May 19, 2011
- Congress asks Kerala to protect agricultural land - Jul 18, 2012
- Congress leaders in Kerala squabble ahead of party poll - Jun 02, 2010
- Chandy likely to be next Kerala chief minister - May 15, 2011
- CPI-M wants Kerala assembly polls in April - Nov 29, 2010
- First off block in Kerala: BJP names 40 candidates - Mar 10, 2011
- Congress asks Kerala leaders to maintain discipline - Jun 10, 2010
- Chennithala takes potshots at CPI-M - Jan 10, 2012
Tags: chacko, congress leader, democratic front, kidwai, kurian, lok sabha elections, member team, old faces, oommen chandy, party president, rajya sabha, ramesh chennithala, screening committee, shahnawaz, shashi tharoor, sivakumar, sonia gandhi, vayalar ravi, veteran politician, vijayaraghavan