Congress hopeful of doing well in electionsMarch 2nd, 2011 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 2 (IANS) Despite battling a string of corruption scandals, the Congress is hopeful of doing well in upcoming state assembly elections.
“Political situation in each state is different. However, on the balance, we will come out as winners,” Congress spokesman Manish Tewari said Wednesday.
Two of the five states listed to go to the polls in April-May are governed by the Congress: Assam and Puducherry.
The Congress is also hopeful of dislodging the Left Democratic Front in Kerala and to be on the winning side in Tamil Nadu and West Bengal though the contests would be tough.
Party leaders said the Congress is expected to expedite seat-sharing talks with the DMK in Tamil Nadu and the Trinamool Congress in West Bengal.
They said two rounds of talks had been held with the DMK, and formal talks will take place with the Trinamool soon.
The Congress has reportedly sought at least 75 seats from DMK and a power-sharing deal if the alliance retains power but the latter has agreed to part with only 53 of the 234 seats.
Congress sources said informal seat-sharing discussions had been held with the Trinamool for the 294-member West Bengal assembly. The Congress wants to contest about 95 seats.
Ahmed said the election outcome will benefit the Congress nationally and strengthen the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA).
- Five states go to polls in April-May - Mar 02, 2011
- Bengal win justifies Congress-Trinamool alliance: Pranab - May 14, 2011
- Talks with Trinamool not yet over: Pranab - Mar 16, 2011
- From marginal to major: BJP looks to make dent in assembly polls - Mar 31, 2011
- India set for biggest electoral battle after 2009 - Apr 03, 2011
- Trinamool, AIADMK poised to win, Left fights in Kerala - May 13, 2011
- India set for biggest electoral battle after 2009 (Lead) - Apr 03, 2011
- DMK snaps alliance with Congress, quits UPA government (Lead) - Mar 05, 2011
- 'Congress-Trinamool pact within a week' (Lead) - Mar 14, 2011
- Trinamool, Congress seal seat-sharing deal for Bengal polls (Intro Roundup) - Mar 22, 2011
- Trinamool tie-up good for both parties: Congress - Mar 10, 2011
- Congress-DMK meeting on seat sharing cancelled - Mar 03, 2011
- Congress seals pact with Trinamool for West Bengal assembly polls (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2011
- Congress needs to go in for image correction: Analysts - May 14, 2011
- UPA in crisis as DMK quits government, dumps Congress (Roundup) - Mar 05, 2011
Tags: assam, assembly elections, congress spokesman, corruption scandals, democratic front, dmk, election outcome, hopeful, kerala, manish, party leaders, political situation, progressive alliance, puducherry, state assembly, tamil nadu, tewari, trinamool congress, west bengal, winning side