Congress hopeful of alliance with SP: Digvijay SinghDecember 5th, 2008 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Dec 5 (IANS) The Congress party is hopeful of striking an electoral alliance with the Samajwadi Party to jointly contest the next Lok Sabha election in Uttar Pradesh, senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh said here Friday.“We have already drawn up a consensus for most of the 80 Lok Sabha seats in the state. There were just about seven or eight constituencies over which a debate was still on, but these too would get resolved shortly,” Digvijay Singh, who looks after the Congress affairs in Uttar Pradesh, told a press conference here Friday.
“Once the decision has been taken at the highest level that we will go to the next general election together, there was no question of any backtrack and you will see it happening very soon,” he said.
Training his guns at the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for “using terror attacks for playing up their petty political ends”, Digvijay Singh, who has twice been Madhya Pradesh chief minister, said: “If the BJP is trying to forge a communal divide in the country, we will strive to unite the people.”
He said: “It was a part of our mission to promote harmony in the larger interest of the nation that we have decided to hold three conventions in Uttar Pradesh.”
The first such meet is scheduled for Dec 22 in Meerut to be followed by those in Lucknow and Azamgarh in January.
“Our aim behind these meets is to unite India while BJP’s sole objective appears to be to simply divide the nation on communal lines,” he stated.
- SP to go it alone in Lok Sabha polls in UP: Mohan Singh - Sep 12, 2012
- Way to power in Delhi via Uttar Pradesh, Gadkari tells party - Jun 03, 2011
- Verma seeks post-poll ties with BSP, Congress terms it personal view (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Preach peace after Ayodhya verdict, Digvijay asks partymen - Sep 13, 2010
- Communal violence casts a shadow on Uttar Pradesh - Aug 15, 2012
- Prepare for Lok Sabha polls anytime next year: Mulayam (Second Lead) - Mar 23, 2012
- After urban wins, BJP upbeat in UP - Jul 18, 2012
- Chidambaram rebuts Digvijay, says Batla House shootout genuine (Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Ajit Singh joins UPA, may soon get cabinet berth - Dec 12, 2011
- RLD joins hands with Congress for Uttar Pradesh polls - Dec 11, 2011
- We won't join UPA, but help it pass budget: SP - Mar 24, 2012
- It will be Rahul vs Modi in 2014: Beni Prasad Verma - Aug 20, 2012
- BJP readies anti-Congress CD campaign (Uttar Pradesh Newsletter) - Sep 08, 2012
- Mulayam keeps Congress guessing on presidential race (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Parties divided over minority quota - Dec 23, 2011