Congress heading for near clean sweep in Haryana (Lead)May 16th, 2009 - 2:44 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, May 16 (IANS) The ruling Congress in Haryana had established convincing leads in nine of the state’s 10 Lok Sabha seats at midday Saturday as counting trends continued to pour in.
The Congress was leading in Gurgaon, Rohtak, Kurukshetra, Sirsa, Bhiwani-Mahendragarh, Ambala, Karnal, Sonipat and Faridabad.
Former chief minister Bhajan Lal of the newly floated Haryana Janhit Congress (HJC) was leading in Hisar seat over his rivals from the Congress and Indian National Lok Dal (INLD).
Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda’s son, Deepinder Singh Hooda, who is seeking re-election from Rohtak, was leading over his nearest rival of the INLD by over 370,000 votes.
The INLD-Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) alliance seemed to be headed for a complete rout in the state.
The Congress had won nine of the 10 seats in the 2004 general elections.
In the union territory of Chandigarh, Congress candidate Pawan Kumar Bansal was leading over his BJP rival by over 50,000 votes.
- Congress repeats 2004 sweep in Haryana - May 16, 2009
- Congress leading in Haryana - May 16, 2009
- Congress ahead in nine of Haryana's 10 seats - May 16, 2009
- Congress competing with its own record in Haryana (Poll Curtainraiser - Haryana) - May 06, 2009
- In Hisar, roadroller almost crushed Bishnoi's tractor - Nov 06, 2011
- After 29 years, Congress wins Ratia seat - Dec 04, 2011
- Haryana's Lok Sabha battle is for a bigger war - Apr 20, 2009
- After Hisar defeat, uphill task for Hooda in by-polls - Nov 07, 2011
- Haryana bypolls: HJC-BJP wins Adampur, Congress wrests Ratia - Dec 04, 2011
- All eyes on Hisar - to fill Bhajan Lal's shoes - Sep 11, 2011
- Haryana bypolls campaigning ends, voting Wednesday - Nov 28, 2011
- Hisar bypoll: Hooda has lot at stake - Sep 25, 2011
- A Rs.300 crore 'Thank You' from Hooda! (Haryana Newsletter) - Dec 18, 2011
- Some Congress stalwarts may face rough weather in Haryana - Oct 07, 2009
- Campaigning for Hisar by-poll ends - Oct 11, 2011
Tags: bansal, bhiwani, bhupinder singh hooda, chief minister, clean sweep, congress candidate, general elections, heading, hjc, inld, lal, lok sabha seats, midday, rivals, rohtak, rout, sonipat, union territory