Congress for special state status for Delhi, not full statehoodNovember 16th, 2008 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 16 (IANS) In a climbdown from its earlier claim of providing complete statehood to Delhi, the Congress party’s manifesto for the Capital now speaks of seeking a “special state” identity for it. The manifesto, likely to be released Monday, admits that it is not practical to accord statehood to Delhi, party sources said.
Under the special status, the party wants to bring the police and the Delhi Development Authority under the ambit of the Delhi government. Presently, both are under the control of the central government.
“We want Delhi to get the status of a special state so that we get dedicated funds for development and autonomy to function,” Delhi Congress president J.P. Aggarwal said.
The party had in its 1998 and 2003 election manifestoes advocated full statehood for Delhi.
Besides, the manifesto speaks mostly about the track record of the Congress government in Delhi in the last 10 years, party sources said.
The manifesto covers the Commonwealth Games, Delhi Metro, regularisation of unauthorised colonies, Delhi Master Plan, construction of flyovers and roads in the Capital.
- Notice to Delhi, central governments on unauthorised colonies - Feb 17, 2012
- Delhi government hits out at MCD over unauthorised colonies - Nov 29, 2010
- Lok Sabha MPs complain about Delhi's Master Plan - Dec 12, 2011
- Dikshit lauds steps to regularise illegal colonies - Jun 09, 2012
- Court notice on Delhi's illegal colonies - Aug 22, 2012
- Build one lakh houses for poor: Kamal Nath - Aug 31, 2012
- Delhi gets centre's nod to regularise 917 colonies - Aug 28, 2012
- 900 unauthorised Delhi colonies to be regularised - Aug 15, 2012
- 900 unauthorised Delhi colonies to be regularised (Lead, Correcting date in para one) - Aug 15, 2012
- Private bill on unauthorised colonies rejected - Aug 20, 2010
- New unauthorised colonies in Delhi to be demolished - Jun 07, 2010
- Dikshit for early completion of work in illegal colonies - Jan 05, 2011
- 'Claims of regularising unauthorised colonies a gimmick' - Jul 05, 2012
- Regularisation of Delhi's unauthorised colonies soon - Aug 05, 2010
- MCD seeks scrapping of property tax in unauthorised colonies - Nov 10, 2010
Tags: commonwealth games, congress government, congress party, congress president, delhi congress, delhi development authority, delhi government, delhi metro, election manifestoes, unauthorised colonies