Congress finalises nominees for three phases of Bihar poll (Lead)September 22nd, 2010 - 11:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 22 (IANS) The Congress central election committee (CEC), chaired by party president Sonia Gandhi, met Wednesday to finalise candidates for the first three phases of the upcoming Bihar assembly elections.
Congress source said that the meeting discussed the recommendations of the party’s screening committee for 140 out of the 243 seats, voting for which will be held in three phases in the state beginning October 21.
The 13-member CEC has Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Defence Minister A.K. Antony among its members.
The meeting was held at Gandhi’s 10 Janpath residence.
The sources said that the CEC finalised names for most of the seats taken up for discussion and the announcement of names is expected to take place over the next two days.
The screening committee will meet again Thursday to consider names of candidates for the last three phase of assembly polls.
The six-phased assembly polls in Bihar will conclude Nov 20.
The screening committee, headed by party general secretary B.K. Hariprasad, met for over three days to give its recommendations for the first three phases of the poll.
While the polling for 47 seats in the the first phase will take place Oct 21, the polling for 45 seats in the second phase will take place Oct 24 and for 48 seats in the third phase Oct 28.
The Congress is contesting all 243 seats in the assembly on its own. The filing of nominations for the first phase of polling begins Sep 27.
- Congress panel to end discussions on Bihar candidates - Sep 18, 2010
- Congress unlikely to declare Bihar list by Sep 25 - Sep 23, 2010
- Bihar Assembly polls: Sonia Gandhi chairs CEC meeting to decide candidates - Sep 22, 2010
- Ticket delay worries thousands of Bihar poll aspirants - Sep 25, 2010
- Congress poll panel to suggest Bihar candidates - Sep 10, 2010
- Congress panel on Bihar candidates to meet again (Lead) - Sep 19, 2010
- Manmohan Singh to campaign in Bihar today - Oct 16, 2010
- Bihar Congress to select candidates for polls by Sep 5 - Aug 23, 2010
- After Rahul, PM and Sonia to campaign in Bihar - Oct 15, 2010
- More tickets to minorities by Congress in Bihar - Sep 21, 2010
- Sonia refuses to meet Lalu's bro-in-law and Congress aspirant Subhash Yadav - Sep 27, 2010
- Congress releases third Bihar list - Oct 04, 2010
- Congress screening panel for Assam meets - Mar 10, 2011
- Advani to address three public meetings in Bihar - Oct 19, 2010
- Bihar polls: Notification for fifth phase issued - Oct 15, 2010
Tags: antony, assembly polls, bihar assembly elections, central election, congress, defence minister, election committee, finance minister, general secretary, hariprasad, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, party president, pranab mukherjee, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, screening committee, second phase, sonia gandhi