Congress failed to tackle terrorism: ModiMay 12th, 2009 - 12:04 am ICT by IANS
Kullu (Himachal Pradesh), May 11 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader and Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi Monday accused the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government of being weak in fighting terrorism.
“The central government, led by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who has to run to (Congress president) Sonia Gandhi to get her consent before every decision, has no wherewithal to tackle terrorism in the country,” Modi said at an election rally at Bhuntar near Kullu in Himachal Pradesh.
“The UPA is acting only as a news collecting agency by disseminating information about how many terrorists have infiltrated into India instead of taking them head-on,” he contended.
At another rally at Hamirpur town, Modi tried to woo the ex-servicemen by assuring them the “one-rank-one-pension” demand would be accepted if the BJP was voted to power.
“The issue would be resolved once the BJP comes to power,” he said.
The Hamirpur constituency has a strong presence of families of serving and retired armed force personnel. From this constituency, sitting MP and BJP candidate Anurag Thakur, the son state Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, is pitted against Congress candidate Narinder Thakur, who is a BJP defector.
“I am under constant attack from SRP (Sonia, Rahul and Priyanka). This attack started only after our prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani raised the issue of black money stashed in foreign banks,” Modi said.
The four Lok Sabha seats of Himachal Pradesh - Shimla (reserved), Mandi, Hamirpur and Kangra - will go to the polls in the final phase May 13.
In the 2004 general elections, the Congress had won the Shimla, Kangra and Mandi parliamentary seats, while the BJP bagged the Hamirpur seat.
- Lacklustre Himachal poll campaign ends - May 12, 2009
- BJP sweeping polls in Himachal Pradesh - May 16, 2009
- Rahul, Modi to address rallies in Himachal - May 10, 2009
- Two-time MP, BJP rebel file nominations in Himachal - Apr 18, 2009
- Spotlight on Mandi, Hamirpur (Poll curtainraiser - Himachal Pradesh) - May 12, 2009
- BJP leading in all Himachal Lok Sabha seats - May 16, 2009
- Sonia to address Shimla rally May 2 - Apr 30, 2009
- Heat wave continues in Himachal hills - Jun 17, 2012
- Snow, rain bring down mercury in Himachal - May 12, 2012
- Temperatures soar across Himachal - Jun 12, 2012
- Dhumal will have to ensure BJP victory, not just son's - Apr 26, 2009
- Himachal to have 12 more silk producing units - May 10, 2012
- Himachal gets Rs.171.22 crore loan for rural projects - Dec 13, 2011
- Himachal chief minister's son files poll papers - Apr 20, 2009
- Himachal Pradesh sees over 58 percent polling (Roundup) - May 14, 2009
Tags: anurag, armed force, black money, congress candidate, congress president sonia gandhi, election rally, fighting terrorism, foreign banks, general elections, l k advani, lok sabha seats, manmohan singh, narendra modi, narinder, parliamentary seats, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, prime ministerial candidate, progressive alliance, rank one