Congress-DMK ties strong, says KarunanidhiDecember 20th, 2010 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Dec 20 (IANS) Calling the summoning of former communications minister A. Raja by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) as a “routine” affair, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi said Monday that the CBI probe into Raja’s affairs won’t hit Congress-DMK ties.”It is strong. You cannot cut it,” the DMK chief said, when reporters asked him about the future of his party’s alliance with the Congress. The two parties are allies in Tamil Nadu, and the DMK is a key member of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government.
Karunanidhi said: “The CBI notice (to Raja over the spectrum allocation scandal) is a rotuine procedure, and Raja will reply to that.”
The chief minister, however, promised action against Raja if he was proved guilty of selling second generation spectrum at below the market price, causing huge losses to the exchequer.
Did he view the CBI raids on Raja’s residences as an insult to the DMK party, he said: “We do not consider it as an insult. The self-respect movement grew facing several insults.”
The CBI has searched Raja’s residences in New Delhi and in Perambalur in Tamil Nadu as well as the homes and business premises of his relatives and other associates.
Also raided by the CBI were a host of people associated with Raja, including corporate lobbyist Niira Radia and an NGO linked to DMK MP and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi’s daughter Kanimozhi.
Raja has denied charges of wrongdoing.
- Raja promises to 'cooperate' with CBI - Dec 22, 2010
- 2G scam: Raja should be arrested, says Jayalalithaa - Dec 20, 2010
- 2G scam: 'Action will be taken against Raja if he is found guilty', says Karunanidhi - Dec 20, 2010
- CBI swoops on Raja kin, Radia, Kanimozhi NGO - Dec 15, 2010
- Raja arrives in Delhi ahead of CBI questioning (Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- 2G scam: Raids won't affect Congress-DMK alliance, says Kanimozhi - Dec 16, 2010
- Timeline of 2G spectrum case - May 20, 2011
- CBI quizzes Raja in 2G spectrum scam - Dec 24, 2010
- A. Raja - a political life dramatic in rise and fall - Feb 02, 2011
- DMK to counter negative media on spectrum scam - Dec 22, 2010
- Alagiri has not quit central government - Jan 05, 2011
- Jayalalithaa demands that CBI question Karunanidhi, family members - Feb 12, 2011
- Raja seeks time after CBI summons him, Radia in 2G probe - Dec 20, 2010
- CBI questions Raja again on 2G scam role - Dec 25, 2010
- 2G: Raja shares information on Kalaignar TV - Dec 21, 2011
Tags: business premises, cbi probe, cbi raids, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, corporate lobbyist, dmk chief, dmk party, government karunanidhi, insults, m karunanidhi, perambalur, progressive alliance, radia, raja, second generation, self respect, spectrum allocation, UPA, wrongdoing