Congress distances itself from Darda over coal blocks allocationsSeptember 5th, 2012 - 11:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 5 (IANS) The Congress Wednesday distanced itself from Rajya Sabha MP Vijay Darda, who has been named by the CBI in the allocation of coal blocks.
“We don’t interfere in the legal process,” Congress spokesperson Renuka Chowdhury told reporters.
Congress MP from Maharashtra Vijay Darda and 17 other senior executives of five private companies have been named by the CBI in the five First Information Reports (FIRs) registered Monday.
Darda had recently embarrassed the Congress when he praised Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi calling him the ‘Lion of Gujarat’.
CBI officials said the agency seized several incriminating documents during raids conducted Tuesday and is planning to question the five companies’ executives, including the Congress MP, in a fortnight.
The CBI was considering summoning them for questioning by Sep 20, the officer said.
The five companies are: AMR Iron and Steel, Vini Iron and Steel Udyog, Nav Bharat Power, JLD Yavatmal Energy and JAS Infrastructure Capital. Vijay Darda, his brother and son, and 15 others have been named as accused, some of them in more than one FIR.
Apart from Vijay Darda, the FIR against JLD Yavatmal mentioned the names of his brother Rajendra Darda, son Devendra Darda, Manoj Jayaswal, Anand Jayaswal and Abhishek Jayaswal.
Vijay Darda had recently stated that he was neither involved in any scam nor had any partnership with Union Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal or Tourism Minister Subodh Kant Sahai on coal blocks allocation.
The Jayaswals are said to be close to Vijay Darda and his family.
Those named in the FIR against AMR Iron and Steel include Arvind Kumar Jayaswal, Manoj Jayaswal, Ramesh Jayaswal and Devendra Darda.
- CBI to quiz MP, five firms' officials on coal blocks - Sep 05, 2012
- CBI names Congress MP in coal block cases, raids 30 sites (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2012
- CBI cases, raids against five firms in coal blocks allocation (Fourth Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Maharashtra minister denies role in coal block cases - Sep 05, 2012
- Five firms face CBI cases, raids in coal blocks allocation (Third Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Private firm directors in CBI net over coal blocks - Sep 18, 2012
- CBI books five companies allocated coal blocks (Second Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- BJP poses more questions to PM, Jaiswal over coal block allocations (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- BJP poses more questions to PM, Jaiswal over coal block allocations - Sep 11, 2012
- Hyderabad-based Nav Bharat comes under CBI scanner - Sep 05, 2012
- IMG deallocates 8th coal block, Plan panel for privatising mining - Sep 18, 2012
- FIRs against five companies allocated coal blocks (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Freedom fighter Jawaharlal Darda's widow dead - Jul 19, 2012
- BJP is misleading country on coal issue: Congress - Sep 13, 2012
- Congress takes dim view of party MP praising Modi (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: abhishek, arvind kumar, cbi officials, chief minister, darda, gujarat, information reports, iron and steel, jaiswal, jld, maharashtra, manoj, narendra, nav bharat, rajya sabha, ramesh, sahai, senior executives, subodh, tourism minister