Congress deputes emissaries to broker peace in MeghalayaApril 19th, 2011 - 9:59 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, April 19 (IANS) The Congress Tuesday deputed two emissaries to Meghalaya to end the bickering within the Congress Legislature Party over the demand to axe Mukul Sangma the chief minister.
The emissaries are scheduled to reach Shillong, the state capital, Sunday.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi has deputed general secretary in-charge of Meghalaya Dhani Ram Shandil and his deputy Sanjay Bapna to broker peace among the warring factions, a party leader said.
“We will be arriving there (Shillong) to assess the political situation,” Shandil told IANS by telephone from New Delhi.
At least 18 of the 28 rebel Congress legislators in the 60-member state assembly are believed to have projected D.D. Lapang as a possible successor to Sangma.
Lapang, a veteran Congress legislator, resigned as chief minister April 20 last year after 21 of the 28 Congress legislators proposed Sangma’s name.
The Sangma-led Congress government in the state is scheduled to complete one year in office Wednesday.
- Meghalaya chief minister's fate to be decided Monday - Apr 24, 2011
- Rebels demand Congress legislators' meeting in Meghalaya - Apr 26, 2011
- Sonia intervenes to resolve Meghalaya leadership crisis - May 06, 2011
- Threat to Sangma's government in Meghalaya: Minister - Apr 12, 2011
- Some legislators want Sangma out: Meghalaya Congress chief - Apr 14, 2011
- Sangma reshuffles cabinet, drops three senior ministers - Jun 07, 2011
- Beleaguered Meghalaya chief minister leaves for Delhi - Jun 02, 2011
- Meghalaya chief minister denies threat to government (LEAD) - Apr 15, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi rules out leadership change in Meghalaya (Lead) - Jul 08, 2011
- Meghalaya's rebel Congress legislators to meet Sonia - Jun 05, 2011
- Rebel Meghalaya legislators seek chief minister's ouster - Jun 01, 2011
- Meghalaya chief minister admits losing majority support - Apr 18, 2010
- Against odds, Meghalaya's Sangma completes a year in office - Apr 20, 2011
- Meghalaya chief minister confident of completing term - Apr 16, 2011
- Sangma to be elected next Meghalaya chief minister - Apr 19, 2010
Tags: axe, chief minister, congress government, congress legislature party, congress president sonia gandhi, dhani, emissaries, general secretary, legislator, legislators, meghalaya, member state, mukul, New Delhi, party leader, political situation, sanjay, shillong, state assembly, warring factions