Congress demands Chouhan’s resginationMay 13th, 2008 - 10:51 pm ICT by admin
Bhopal, May 13 (IANS) Madhya Pradesh’s main opposition Congress Tuesday staged a day-long sit-in to protest what it called corruption in the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government and demanded Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan’s resignation. Addressing a gathering here, state Congress president Suresh Pachauri said the people of the state were suffering for want of electricity and water while Chief Minister Chouhan was busy making announcements only to cover up his government’s failures.
“For the first time in the history of Madhya Pradesh, an FIR (first information report) has been registered against a chief minister on the directives of the Lokayukta (Ombudsman). Besides, his eight cabinet colleagues are also facing inquiry by the Lokayukta. As such, Chouhan should resign on moral grounds,” Pachauri said.
Pachauri said the BJP government had failed on all fronts, including power supply. He also alleged large-scale corruption in the construction of roads under the Pradhan Mantri Gramin Sadak Yojana (PMGSY).
A congress delegation led by Pachaouri submitted a memorandum to the state governor in the evening after the sit-in and demanded appropriate action against the chief minister and the ministers facing inquiries.
- Ramesh writes to Sinha, refutes charges of discrimination - Aug 23, 2012
- Madhya Paradesh claims 12 percent fall in poverty - Mar 21, 2012
- Rural ministry working on village roads scheme, says Ramesh - May 19, 2012
- Will tailor rural roads scheme for northeast: Ramesh (Lead) - Feb 12, 2012
- 'More autonomy for states to implement rural schemes' - Apr 08, 2012
- Over 400 centrally-funded roads found defective in Chhattisgarh - Mar 03, 2011
- Mayawati meets PM; seeks flood relief, approval of airport project (Lead) - Oct 18, 2010
- Chhattisgarh probes engineer's donation to Maoists - Feb 21, 2011
- Opposition seeks Chouhan's resignation, assembly adjourned - Nov 23, 2010
- Madhya Pradesh CM to meet Team Anna next week - Mar 15, 2012
- Congress to counter Chouhan's protest - Jan 30, 2012
- Govt. grants aid for construction of rural roads in Manipur - Feb 07, 2011
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, slam Mayawati (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli, flay Mayawati (Second Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Will tailor rural roads scheme for northeast: Ramesh - Feb 12, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bhopal, cabinet colleagues, chief minister, congress president, corruption, delegation, fir, information report, madhya pradesh, mantri, memorandum, moral grounds, ombudsman, opposition congress, resignation, state congress, state governor, suresh, yojana