Congress delegation from Gujarat meets PresidentSeptember 7th, 2011 - 1:15 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 6 (IANS) Congress leaders from Gujarat Tuesday met President Pratibha Patil Tuesday and said the Governor Kamala Beniwal had not violated norms in appointing Justice R. A. Mehta (retd) as state Lokayukta.
The delegation which included senior leaders from the state including state unit chief Arjun Modwadia, Leader of Opposition Shaktisinh Gohil and former union minister Shankarsinh Vaghela met Patil to counter the Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) offensive over the appointment of Lokayukta.
The BJP delegation had met Patil to demand recall of the governor for bypassing Chief Minister Narendra Modi while appointing the Lokayukta.
The Congress leaders alleged that the BJP government in Gujarat was opposing the appointment of Mehta as the Lokayukta as it is scared that as in Karnataka, the Lokayukta will also expose the “massive wrong doings, irregularities and corrupt practices”.
Gujarat Congress leaders also accused BJP leaders of misleading parliament on the issue.
“(Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha) Ms. Sushama Swaraj has misled parliament on the issue by saying governor sat on for three years on a recommendation by the state government to appoint Lokayukta. I have been a part of the process. All these are nothing but lies,” Gohil said after meeting the president.
He alleged that “maximum funding of BJP comes from Gujarat” and “the entire BJP high command was on its toes to save the chief minister”.
The BJP has repeatedly stalled parliament since last week over the issue.
The tussle between the Congress and BJP over Lokayukta’s appointment was also played outside the two houses Tuesday after some Congress leaders from Gujarat raised slogans against Modi near statue of Mahatma Gandhi in the parliament premises. Some BJP MPs countered them with slogans in favour of Modi.
- Gujarat governor, government on collision course on Lokayukta - Aug 26, 2011
- R.A. Mehta is Gujarat Lokayukta - Aug 26, 2011
- Congress not interested in functioning of parliament: BJP - Sep 06, 2011
- BJP meets president, demands Gujarat governor's removal - May 30, 2012
- BJP not serious in fighting corruption, says Congress - Jan 18, 2012
- Gujarat Lokayukta: Subversion of constitution or sticking to rules? - Sep 06, 2011
- Congress accuses BJP of hypocrisy on Lokayukta, Reddy arrest - Sep 07, 2011
- Samajwadi Party disapproves the way Gujarat Lokayukta was appointed - Sep 06, 2011
- Split verdict in Gujarat Lokayukta appointment case - Oct 11, 2011
- Court's Gujarat Lokayukta order harms federalism: BJP (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Parliament stalled over Gujarat Lokayukta issue - Sep 02, 2011
- BJP asks president to intervene in Gujarat Lokayukta issue - Sep 02, 2011
- Modi stalling Lokayukta appointment, says Congress - Apr 18, 2011
- Modi government, Congress spar over panel - Aug 18, 2011
- Gujarat Lokayukta rocks parliament for third day - Sep 05, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp government, chief minister, congress leaders, corrupt practices, doings, gohil, gujarat, leader of opposition, Lok Sabha, mahatma gandhi, meeting the president, mehta, misleading parliament, president pratibha patil, sushama swaraj, tussle, union minister, unit chief, vaghela