Congress declines comment on Jaya’s charge against ChidambaramJune 15th, 2011 - 11:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 15 (IANS) The Congress Wednesday did not comment on Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa’s charge that the election of Home Minister P. Chidambaram from Sivaganga was “fraudulent”, and said the minister had already replied to the statement.
“The chief minister has made a statement. The home minister has replied. The party has nothing further to add,” Congress spokesperson Jayanthi Natarajan said here.
Jayalalithaa told a press conference in the capital Tuesday that the election of Chidambaram to the Lok Sabha was fraudulent and his position as home minister was untenable.
Chidambaram in his reaction said that Jayalalithaa “has always had contempt for court proceedings” and her remarks were not surprising.
Chidambaram was declared elected from Sivaganga constituency of the Lok Sabha by a narrow margin of 3,354 votes over his AIADMK rival Raja Kannappan. The result was declared after a lot of confusion and protests. Kannappan later moved court challenging Chidambaram’s victory.
- War of words breaks out between Chidambaram and Jayalalithaa (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- Jayalalithaa's remark contempt of court: Chidambaram - Jun 14, 2011
- Chidambaram never won election, must quit: Jayalalithaa (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- Blazing a trail, Jayalalithaa fires salvo at Chidambaram, Maran (Roundup) - Jun 14, 2011
- Jayalalithaa springs surprise, attacks Chidambaram (Intro Roundup) - Jun 14, 2011
- Chidambaram in dock for poll result, opposition demands resignation (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Chidambaram hit by court ruling, opposition wants him out (Second Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Court rejects Chidambaram's plea - Aug 04, 2011
- Counting agents should monitor data entry operators: Jayalalithaa - May 11, 2011
- Chidambaram wins Sivaganga seat - May 16, 2009
- Chidambaram need not resign, says Karunanidhi - Jun 09, 2012
- 2G: Jayalalithaa welcomes apex court ruling - Feb 02, 2012
- Congress rebuffs BJP's demand for Chidambaram's ouster - Jun 07, 2012
- Sack Chidambaram, says BJP's Joshi (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi congratulates Jayalalithaa on massive win (Lead) - May 15, 2011
Tags: chief minister, confusion, congress, constituency, contempt, court proceedings, home minister, j jayalalithaa, jayanthi, Lok Sabha, narrow margin, New Delhi, p chidambaram, protests, raja kannappan, sivaganga, spokesperson, tamil nadu, victory