Congress core group meets over fuel price hikeSeptember 11th, 2012 - 10:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 11 (IANS) A day after Congress chief Sonia Gandhi returned from abroad following a medical check up, the party’s core group met here Tuesday to discuss the current political situation including the coal block allocations’ fallout and the government proposal to hike fuel prices, party sources said.
Besides Gandhi, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Defence Minister A.K. Antony, Finance Minister P. Chidambaram and Gandhi’s political secretary Ahmed Patel are members of the core group.
The Cabinet Committee on Political Affairs, which was to take up the petroleum ministry’s proposal to hike the prices of diesel, cooking gas and kerosene, postponed its meeting in the wake of opposition from some of the United Progressive Alliance allies.
Earlier in the day, Petroleum Minister Jaipal Reddy said an increase in diesel, cooking gas and kerosene prices was “unavoidable” to reduce under-recoveries of oil marketing companies. The finance ministry also favours the view.
Congress sources said the leadership will discuss the issue with the allies.
The core group also discussed ways to counter the BJP’s propaganda against the UPA government alleging corruption in allocation of coal blocks.
Already, ministers and senior party functionaries are touring all over the country to put forth the government’s view in the matter.
- Diesel price hiked by Rs 5, opposition slams 'anti-people' move (Roundup) - Sep 14, 2012
- Decision on fuel prices deferred, CCPA meet postponed - Sep 11, 2012
- No plan to hike diesel, LPG, kerosene prices: Reddy - May 28, 2012
- Ministerial meet to discuss LPG supply, price deferred - Sep 16, 2011
- EGoM meeting on fuel price hike begins - Jun 24, 2011
- Government hikes diesel price by Rs.five a litre (Second lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Congress panel discusses Telangana committee terms - Feb 10, 2010
- Diesel, cooking gas and kerosene prices hiked (Lead) - Jun 24, 2011
- Diesel, kerosene and cooking gas price hiked; common man, opposition angry (Roundup) - Jun 25, 2011
- Government compelled to hike fuel price: Reddy - Aug 04, 2011
- Forced to hike petrol prices, say government, oil firms - Nov 04, 2011
- Ministerial panel to decide on diesel price hike next week (Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- India Inc calls for dual pricing of diesel, LPG - May 24, 2012
- BJP, SP protest fuel price hike in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 25, 2011
- Ministerial panel to decide diesel price hike Dec 22 - Dec 15, 2010
Tags: ahmed patel, cabinet committee, congress chief, core group, finance minister, finance ministry, fuel price hike, government proposal, jaipal reddy, kerosene prices, manmohan singh, marketing companies, medical check, p chidambaram, petroleum ministry, political secretary, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, sonia gandhi