Congress, BSP rallies in Ambedkar Nagar WednesdayApril 13th, 2010 - 10:46 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, April 13 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh’s ruling Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and the Congress both are holding rallies in the state’s Ambedkar Nagar town on Bhimrao Ambedkar’s birth anniversary Wednesday.
Though the Congress described its event as “Chetna Rally” (vibrancy rally) to mark the party’s 125th anniversary, party general secretary Rahul Gandhi will also kick off the attempt to rejuvenate the organisation by flagging off ‘yatras’ in 10 different directions from the town named after Ambedkar, the architect of the Indian Constitution and whom the BSP eulogises as its top icon.
The BSP rally will be held nearby. However, Chief Minister Mayawati has chosen to keep herself away from the event, which will be addressed by her close lieutenant and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Lalji Verma.
Mayawati has also directed her partymen to stage nation-wide demonstrations against the Congress party. Simultaneously, the BSP also proposes to reiterate its opposition to the women’s reservation bill, which Mayawati has already termed “anti-Dalit”.
“Our nation-wide demonstrations are aimed at exposing the Congress lies of championing the cause of Dalits. We will tell the people of this country how the Congress party had always opposed the wellbeing of downtrodden Dalits, who were only exploited as vote banks,” state BSP chief Swami Prasad Maurya said here.
Another close Mayawati lieutenant and multi-portfolio minister Naseemuddin Siddiqui would lead the Lucknow show.
The chief minister would simply address the media after paying floral tributes to Ambedkar at the Rs.1,200 crore memorial dedicated to him here.
Meanwhile heavy security arrangements have been made in Ambedkar Nagar, 150 km from here, to prevent any clash between supporters of the two parties.
- BSP plans anti-Congress stir on UPA's first anniversary - Apr 18, 2010
- Rahul compelled to shift Ambedkar Nagar rally venue - Mar 29, 2010
- UP officials not taking Akhilesh seriously: BSP - Jul 30, 2012
- Mayawati denies Rahul Gandhi permission to garland statue at Ambedkar Nagar - Apr 14, 2010
- Dalit memorials will be set up 'come what may': Mayawati (Lead) - Apr 14, 2010
- Mayawati wants Dalit on Lokpal Bill committee (Lead) - Apr 22, 2011
- Mayawati fast-tracks preparations for Lok Sabha polls - Apr 03, 2012
- Rahul steals the thunder from BSP in Ambedkar Nagar - Apr 15, 2010
- Finally, covers go off Mayawati statues (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Congress will revive in Uttar Pradesh: Rahul Gandhi - Apr 14, 2010
- Finally, veils to go off Mayawati statues - Mar 04, 2012
- Make Mayawati PM to bring down prices, says BSP - Jul 06, 2010
- Mayawati declines to attend UPA II anniversary dinner - May 21, 2010
- BSP blames Congress for playing politics of religion - Apr 15, 2010
- Mayawati launches BSP campaign in UP, spews fire at Congress (Second Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
Tags: 125th anniversary, affairs minister, anniversary party, bhimrao ambedkar, birth anniversary, bsp, chief minister, congress party, crore, dalits, floral tributes, heavy security, indian constitution, lucknow, Mayawati, parliamentary affairs, rahul gandhi, reservation bill, security arrangements, siddiqui