Congress blasts Trinamool ahead of local pollsMay 30th, 2012 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 30 (IANS) The Congress Wednesday accused the Trinamool Congress of creating a “vicious environment” ahead of municipal elections in the state. It said its candidates are threatened and intimidated.
“We have been hearing about parivartan (change) but the situation in the state, when it comes to elections, is as tense as it used to be earlier. There is a concerted effort to intimidate and threaten our candidates,” West Bengal Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya said.
“Under the new regime, we had expected that elections will be peaceful. But much to our dismay, this is not happening. There is an effort to create a vicious environment. If it was the CPI-M earlier, it is now the Trinamool Congress,” said Bhattacharya.
Bhattacharya met Principal Secretary Samar Ghosh and state Election Commissioner Meera Pandey to voice concern over instances of violence on party candidates.
“I urge the administration to ensure peaceful polls,” he added.
Durgapur Municipal Corporation in Burdwan district, Nalhati Municipality in Birbhum district and Panskura and Haldia municipalities in East Midnapore district, Dhupguri Municipality in Jalpaiguri district and Cooper’s Camp notified area in Nadia district will go to polls June 3.
- Haldia victory answer to Trinamool's politics: Left Front - Jun 05, 2012
- Large turnout amid sporadic violence in Bengal civic polls (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Trinamool scores in civic polls, loses near Nandigram - Jun 05, 2012
- We can fight and win on our own, Trinamool tells Congress - Jun 05, 2012
- Brisk polling amid sporadic violence in Bengal civic polls - Jun 03, 2012
- Win shows we can go it alone, says Trinamool; Congress slams (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Trinamool shines in civic polls, loses near Nandigram (Roundup) - Jun 06, 2012
- Trinamool passes popularity test, with twin failures (West Bengal newsletter) - Jun 09, 2012
- Congress moves state election panel against Trinamool threats - May 08, 2012
- 53 percent polling in West Bengal till 2 p.m. - Apr 23, 2011
- Process for Bengal's second phase poll begins Wednesday - Mar 29, 2011
- Polling underway for second phase of West Bengal elections - Apr 23, 2011
- West Bengal poll battle enters phase two Saturday (Curtain Raiser) - Apr 22, 2011
- CPI-M demands release of its jailed Bengal ex-MP - Jun 05, 2012
- 293 nominees in fray for second phase of Bengal polls - Apr 11, 2011
Tags: bhattacharya, concerted effort, congress president, CPI, dismay, election commissioner, ghosh, jalpaiguri district, meera, midnapore district, municipal elections, party candidates, pradip, principal secretary, samar, state election, trinamool congress, vicious environment, voice concern, west bengal