Congress blames Mayawati government for farmers’ agitationMay 9th, 2011 - 6:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 9 (IANS) Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh Monday blamed the Mayawati government in Uttar Pradesh for the violent agitation of farmers in Greater Noida against land acquisition.
“The Mayawati government of the Bahujan Samaj Party is to be blamed for this,” he told reporters, adding “a probe should be done”.
The Congress leader suggested that civil society members in the Lokpal Bill committee could probe the issues involved in the agitation.
“Shanti Bhushan, Prashant Bhushan, Anna Hazare and Arvind Kejriwal (all members of the Lokpal Bill panel) should not go anywhere else, if they probe (Greater) Noida” incident, they will be able to expose corruption, he added.
Four people, two policemen and two farmers, were killed when rioting farmers protesting acquisition of their lands for the proposed Yamuna Expressway and police exchanged fire in Bhatta-Parsaul near Greater Noida Saturday.
Gautam Budh Nagar District Magistrate Deepal Agrawal and Senior Superintendent of Police Surya Narain Singh were among those injured.
The agitation turned violent when police tried to rescue three Atate Roadways employees from the farmers’ custody.
The proposed 165-km expressway, when complete, is expected to cut the travel time between New Delhi and Agra by one hour.
- Land protests: Reward announced for five farmer leaders - May 09, 2011
- Opposition leaders arrested at Greater Noida - May 09, 2011
- Rs.50,000 reward announced for farmer leader - May 08, 2011
- Weapon 'robbed' by Tewatia recovered - Jul 10, 2011
- Withdraw cases against Bhatta farmers: Rajnath to Akhilesh - May 08, 2012
- Rahul plans to address Bhatta-Parsaul farmers - Jun 30, 2011
- Farmers' fury spreads, death toll four (Fourth Lead, correcting designation in para 4) - May 09, 2011
- Farmers' fury spreads, death toll four (Third Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Farmers clash with police in Uttar Pradesh, official injured - May 07, 2011
- From Bhatta Parsaul, Rahul takes forward campaign against Mayawati (Intro Roundup) - Jul 05, 2011
- Mayawati concedes Rahul's plea for farmers meeet in Aligarh - Jul 03, 2011
- Campaign to spread across Uttar Pradesh: Rahul Gandhi - May 18, 2011
- Politics over farmer's agitation, opposition slams Mayawati (Roundup) - May 09, 2011
- Sachin Pilot arrested on way to Bhatta-Parsaul (Lead) - May 22, 2011
- Rahul's march to get feedback on land policy: Digvijay - Jul 05, 2011
Tags: agitation, agra, agrawal, anna hazare, arvind, bahujan samaj party, congress leader, digvijay singh, district magistrate, gautam budh nagar, general secretary, greater noida, land acquisition, narain singh, policemen, prashant, roadways, samaj, society members, yamuna