Congress betrayed Muslims: MayawatiDecember 18th, 2011 - 4:04 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Dec 18 (IANS) Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati Sunday accused the Congress of betraying Muslims, saying the party had failed to check communal riots during its rule at the centre.
Addressing a ‘Muslim, Kshatriya and Vaishya Mahasammelan meeting’, Mayawati said Muslims had considered Congress their benefactor but the party had “betrayed them”.
“It made promise after promise but gave nothing (other) than assurances. The Sachar panel report has mentioned about the condition of Muslims. Several riots have taken place in Meerut and Moradabad (in Uttar Pradesh), Bhagalpur (Bihar), Mumbai, Bharatpur (Rajasthan), it had deep impact on the Muslim psyche,” Mayawati said.
She alleged that Muslims had been forced to live under fear during Congress rule.
She also accused the Congress of being soft towards the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). She said organisations like the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and Bajrang Dal had become “quite active” in the country.
Mayawati condemned the Babri mosque demolition at Ayodhya in December 1992. “The Dec 6 incident, the more it is condemned, it will not be enough,” Mayawati said.
The chief minister said that while her government had taken several steps for welfare of Muslims, the Samajwadi Party had virtually no achievements to its credit.
- Mayawati seeks fifth term as birthday gift (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Congress attacks Mayawati over Muslim quota - Dec 19, 2011
- Mayawati woos Muslims, other groups - Dec 17, 2011
- Punish erring police officials in communal conflicts: AIDWA - Nov 16, 2011
- Charge sheet filed in Bharatpur riots - Mar 06, 2012
- Muslim quota row: Congress slams BJP's criticism - Jan 11, 2012
- Mayawati seeks reservation for Muslims - Sep 18, 2011
- Congress, BSP ignoring Muslims: Mulayam - Nov 16, 2011
- Mayawati hits out at Congress for Khurshid's remarks - Feb 11, 2012
- BJP won't tolerate religion-based quota: Uma Bharti (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Congress is scared of BSP, says Mayawati - Nov 27, 2011
- Maya stokes Jat fire in west UP - Feb 22, 2012
- Mayawati quits, warns against SP's hooliganism (Third Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Mayawati tries to gain foothold in Uttarakhand - Jan 25, 2012
- BSP trying to suppress Ramdev's campaign: BJP - Jun 06, 2011
Tags: ayodhya, babri mosque, bajrang dal, benefactor, bhagalpur, bharatiya janata party, bharatpur, chief minister, communal riots, deep impact, kshatriya, Mayawati, meerut, moradabad, promise after promise, rashtriya swayamsevak sangh, Samajwadi Party, several steps, vhp, vishwa hindu parishad