Congress banks on Dera support in PunjabApril 21st, 2009 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS
Hoshiarpur (Punjab), April 21 (IANS) The Congress is banking on the controversial Dera Sacha Sauda sect votes in the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections.
Former Punjab chief minister and senior Congress leader Amarinder Singh told media here Tuesday that the Congress wanted support from the sect’s followers.
“The Congress wants Dera Sacha Sauda’s votes and is hopeful that the Dera will support us,” said Amarinder Singh, who was here for campaigning.
The Congress leadership, however, is worried that the sect followers could be targeted by Punjab’s ruling Akali Dal if they openly supported the Congress.
“Most of their (sect’s) followers are from weaker sections. My only concern is that they should not be targeted like last time (in 2007) by the Akalis if they support us,” Amarinder Singh said.
The sect chief, Gurmit Ram Rahim Singh, had run into a controversy with Sikhs in 2007 after he attired himself like the 10th Sikh guru, Gobind Singh.
The Akalis had lost several seats in the Malwa belt of southwest Punjab comprising districts of Bathinda, Mansa, Patiala and Sangrur in the February 2007 assembly polls as the Dera supported Congress candidates.
The controversial sect, which has its headquarters near Sirsa town in neighbouring Haryana, has over two million followers in Punjab. The sect’s political arm has already started an exercise among its followers to know their views on whom to support in the elections.
The sect has, so far, not committed itself to either supporting the Congress or the Akalis but indications are that its support could go the Congress way given the cases filed against the Dera chief by the Punjab police in the Akali rule and the alleged harassment of sect followers in Punjab.
- Dera case: Court rejects police cancellation report - Apr 03, 2012
- Nothing wrong in seeking votes from sects: Amarinder - May 14, 2011
- Charged with murder, rape, Dera chief's support sought for polls - May 04, 2009
- Amid tension, Dera congregation is peaceful (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2010
- Bus torched in Haryana, uneasy calm prevails - Mar 01, 2010
- Over 50 people detained for Punjab, Haryana violence - Feb 28, 2010
- Day-to-day hearing of Dera chief's rape case - Sep 28, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana inching towards normalcy after violence (Second lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Radical Sikh bodies reject sect chief's 'apology' offer - Apr 20, 2009
- Violence in Punjab, Haryana after fresh case against Dera chief (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Dera Sacha Sauda asks followers to heed 'conscience' for voting - May 05, 2009
- Punjab, Haryana calm after Dera violence (Lead) - Feb 28, 2010
- Curfew imposed in Punjab town after clashes - Jan 02, 2011
- CBI court directs Sacha Sauda chief to appear in person - May 21, 2011
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
Tags: amarinder singh, assembly polls, chief minister, congress candidates, congress leader, congress leadership, controversial sect, dera sacha sauda sect, followers, guru gobind singh, haryana, hoshiarpur punjab, lok sabha elections, patiala, political arm, punjab police, ram rahim singh, sangrur, sikh guru, sikhs