Congress asks Kerala to protect agricultural landJuly 18th, 2012 - 10:12 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, July 18 (IANS) A high-level coordination committee of the Congress party Wednesday asked the Oommen Chandy government in Kerala to amend existing laws and bring in suitable fresh laws to protect the agricultural lands fast vanishing to construction mafia in the state.
The committee consists of Chief Minister Chandy, state party chief Ramesh Chennithala, three former state party chiefs, the ruling front convenor, two Congress state ministers besides senior party leader V.M.Sudheeran.
“By now, a precious nine lakh hectares of land for agricultural purposes have been either filled or reclaimed and all that remains are a mere two lakh hectares,” said Chennithala, referring to the paddy fields having been earth-filled and diverted from agriculture to construction purposes.
“The law that was passed in 2008 by the previous Left government has a lot of loopholes and people continue to fill such land and it is being sold at fancy prices,” Chennithala added.
He also pointed out that the Kerala High Court through a verdict last year had asked the government to regularise all agricultural land that was filled or reclaimed before the previous Left government passed the law.
“We have asked the government to see if there is any scope for an appeal against that verdict besides passing an ordinance similar to the one in Karnataka where any agricultural land purchased could be used only for cultivation purpose. The third thing that we have asked is to see to it that a Comprehensive Land Policy is framed which will address all such issues,” added Chennithala.
In the past few weeks, leaders like Sudheeran have been up in arms against the indiscriminate filling of agricultural land by the real estate mafia, while the government is maintaining a stoic silence.
- 'Some minister's personal staff run Kerala government - Jul 29, 2012
- Keep the flock together, Sonia Gandhi tells Kerala leaders - May 25, 2011
- Law takes its own course, Chandy to Achuthanandan - Jun 17, 2011
- Kerala state Congress gears up for revamp - Aug 05, 2012
- Government to root out Goa mining mafia: Governor (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Chandy, Chennithala to name Congress candidates - Mar 12, 2011
- Kerala palm oil scam: Fresh probe ordered in Chandy's role - Aug 08, 2011
- Supreme Court quashes land acquisition in Greater Noida - Jul 07, 2011
- Achuthanandan's anti-graft attack only for publicity: Congress - Feb 21, 2011
- Government will root out Goa's mining mafia: Governor - Mar 20, 2012
- In Kerala by-election, it is Chandy versus Achuthanandan - Mar 09, 2012
- Chandy plans all-party meet on encroachment in Munnar hills - Jun 15, 2011
- Kerala bans gutka, paan masala (Second Lead, superseding earlier story) - May 26, 2012
- Chandy blames Air India for high fares to Middle East - Oct 03, 2011
- Chandy announces welfare measures on I-Day - Aug 15, 2012
Tags: agricultural land, agricultural lands, agricultural purposes, chief minister, congress party, construction purposes, coordination committee, fancy prices, hectares, karnataka, kerala high court, lakh, level coordination, loopholes, mafia, paddy fields, party chief, party chiefs, party leader, state ministers