Congress announces 114 names for Punjab pollJanuary 6th, 2012 - 10:51 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 6 (IANS) After the uncertainty of the last few days, the Congress has finally released its list of 114 candidates for the 117-member Punjab assembly elections to be held Jan 30.
State Congress president and former chief minister Amarinder Singh will contest from his traditional Patiala assembly seat while another former chief minister and now Congress Legislature Party (CLP) leader Rajinder Kaur Bhattal will contest again from the Lehra seat in Sangrur district.
The list containing 114 names was finally released at the Congress headquarters in New Delhi just before midnight Thursday.
Former legislator Jagbir Singh Brar, who switched from the Shiromani Akali Dal to the newly-floated Peoples Party of Punjab (PPP) led by former finance minister Manpreet Badal to the Congress in the last over one year, has been fielded from the Jalandhar Cantt seat.
Mahesh Inder Singh Badal has been fielded from the crucial Lambi seat where he will take on his cousin brothers - Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal of the Akali Dal and his younger brother Gurdas Badal, who is the father of Manpreet Badal and the PPP candidate.
Amarinder Singh’s son Raninder Singh has been fielded from the Samana assembly seat in Patiala district. Raninder’s mother Preneet Kaur is the Lok Sabha MP from Patiala and the union minister of state for external affairs.
The main contest in the state is between the ruling Akali Dal-Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) combine and the Congress. With the PPP and the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) also in the fray, the contest on many seats will be triangular or multi-cornered.
- Prominent candidates in Punjab assembly polls - Jan 28, 2012
- All set for Punjab vote count - Mar 05, 2012
- Punjab, Uttarakhand set to elect new assemblies - Jan 29, 2012
- Punjab, Uttarakhand set to elect new assemblies (Lead) - Jan 29, 2012
- Amarinder's brother leads list of Punjab Congress rebels - Jan 07, 2012
- Akali Dal ahead in Punjab - Mar 06, 2012
- Brother vs brother, with a royal twist (Punjab Newsletter) - Jan 14, 2012
- Sukhbir Badal leads with biggest margin - Mar 06, 2012
- Polling under way in Punjab (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Punjab: Prominent winners and losers - Mar 06, 2012
- 1.76 crore Punjab residents to vote Monday - Jan 29, 2012
- Bright and sunny as polling picks up in Punjab (Second Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- Nearly 40 percent vote in Punjab polls (Afternoon Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Over 77 percent voting in Punjab, one killed in violence (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2012
Tags: assembly elections, assembly seat, bahujan samaj party, bharatiya janata party, brar, chief minister, clp, congress legislature party, congress president, external affairs, finance minister, inder singh, legislator, Lok Sabha, minister of state, parkash singh badal, ppp, shiromani akali dal, state congress, union minister