Congress again appeals to Trinamool to support PranabJuly 5th, 2012 - 5:35 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 4 (IANS) The Congress Wednesday made a fresh appeal to the Trinamool Congress to support United Progressive Alliance (UPA) presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee.
The party also described the Trinamool leaders saying nothing “against” the former finance minister as “positive”.
However, Shakeel Ahmed, All India Congress Committee general secretary, in-charge of West Bengal, dodged a question on whether he would call on West Bengal Chief Minister and Trinamool supreme Mamata Banerjee with the appeal that her party extend support to Mukherjee in the July 19 polls.
Ahmed described Trinamool as a strong ally and said: “We hope they will support Pranab Mukherjee. We appeal to everyone to support him. It is a positive sign that none of the Trinamool leaders or legislators have said anything against Pranab Mukherjee since his name was announced as UPA’s presidential candidate.”
The Congress leader, who held a meeting with the Congress legislative party in the state assembly, harped on Mukherjee’s Bengali identity while speaking to the media.
“People across entire Bengal are happy with Mukherjee’s nomination as the presidential candidature.” he said.
- Speculation on Pranab's candidature grows after Bengal leader's pitch (Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential choice Wednesday (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Presidential poll: Trinamool, CPI-M both losers (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jul 20, 2012
- Mukherjee will now win by bigger margin, says Congress - Jul 17, 2012
- Pranab in UP Tuesday to canvass for presidential poll (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Pranab in UP Monday to scout for support - Jul 02, 2012
- Mamata to meet Sonia on presidential polls Wednesday - Jun 12, 2012
- Let Sangma read the constitution: Bengal Congress chief - Jun 24, 2012
- Trinamool should support Pranab to save face: Congress - Jul 16, 2012
- Decide on Trinamool alliance after presidential polls: Bengal Congress - Jul 09, 2012
- Am ready to talk to Mamata if she is ready: Pranab - Jul 09, 2012
- Mitra meets Pranab, says discussions incomplete - Jun 11, 2012
- GJM to go with Trinamool on presidential poll - Jun 28, 2012
- No regrets on not becoming PM, says Pranab - Jun 29, 2012
- Pranab welcomes Trinamool decision - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: ally, bengali, candidature, chief minister, congress leader, finance minister, general secretary, india congress committee, july 4, kolkata, legislators, mamata banerjee, nomination, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, progressive alliance, saying nothing, state assembly, trinamool congress, west bengal