Concerned over police action on farmers seeking fertilizers: TDPSeptember 6th, 2012 - 11:18 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Sep 6 (IANS) Andhra Pradesh’s opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) Thursday voiced concern over the incidents of police baton charge on farmers demanding fertilizers and has asked the state government to streamline the supply of fertilizers.
TDP legislator R. Chandrasekhar Reddy accused the Congress government of mismanagement and failure to get adequate quantity of fertilizers from the central government.
“Not a single day is passing without police resorting to lathicharge on farmers in some district,” he told reporters here.
Reddy said Andhra Pradesh may be the only state in the country where the government is selling the fertilizers at police stations.
He alleged that the farmers were badly hit by the fertilizer crisis with few days left for the kharif crop season to end.
Reddy pointed out that the prices of fertilizers were hiked 10 times during last three years and the shortage had only added to the farmers’ woes.
The former MP said the government had failed to protect state’s interests despite the fact that the Congress-led UPA government was surviving because of the 33 MPs the ruling party has from the state.
He claimed though Kakinada port in the state received shipment of fertilizers but the entire stock was transported to Karnataka and Kerala.
Reddy claimed the central government was not providing the stocks to meet the demand. During 2011-12, the central government supplied 70.84 lakh ton fertilizers against the demand for 85 lakh ton, he said.
- Water row between Andhra, Rayalaseema hots up - Sep 01, 2012
- TDP legislators continue protest over power shortage - Aug 28, 2012
- Andhra assembly session kicks off on stormy note - Dec 01, 2011
- TDP legislators protest at Reddy's office - Aug 28, 2012
- Opposition parties vow to carry on struggle for Andhra farmers (Lead) - Dec 30, 2010
- Security tightened for YSR Congress' Andhra shutdown Friday - Aug 30, 2012
- Violence rocks Yanam, workers kill company official (Second Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Congress, TDP hail Janardhana Reddy's arrest - Sep 05, 2011
- TDP chief Naidu begins hunger strike demanding relief for farmers - Dec 17, 2010
- TDP demands resignation of 'tainted' Andhra ministers - Mar 12, 2012
- Chandrababu Naidu kicks off padyatra for farmers - Nov 02, 2011
- RTI query exposes urea shortage in Bihar - Jan 04, 2012
- Andhra axes mining lease to YSR's son-in-law - Jun 11, 2012
- TDP to move no-trust motion in Andhra assembly - Nov 30, 2011
- TDP demands assembly session to discuss people's problems - Aug 31, 2012
Tags: adequate quantity, central government, chandrasekhar, congress government, crop season, fertilizer, fertilizers, karnataka, kerala, kharif crop, legislator, mismanagement, mps, police action, police baton, police stations, ruling party, single day, voiced concern, woes