Complete shutdown observed in Odisha (Lead)May 31st, 2012 - 4:25 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, May 31 (IANS) A near-complete shutdown was observed across Odisha Thursday in response to the call by various political parties, including the ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD), against the recent hike in petrol price, officials here said.
Protesters squatted on rail tracks at various railway stations in the state, forcing the railway authorities to cancel as many as 18 local passenger trains. Roads and highways in several areas bore a deserted look as commercial and passenger vehicles remained off the road.
“Due to protests at various stations, the train services on the Howrah-Chennai main line and branch lines have been totally disrupted,” a senior official of the East Coast Railway headquarters here said.
Hundreds of protesters courted arrest in Bhubaneswar after obstructing trains, blocking roads and picketing government and private offices, Bhubaneswar Deputy Commissioner of Police Nitinjit Singh told IANS.
Barring the movement of motorcycles and ambulances, all other vehicles nearly stopped plying across the state, including in towns like Sambalpur, Rourkela, Berhampur, Cuttack, Jharsuguda and Balangir, a senior official at the police headquarters in Cuttack, about 25 km from here, said.
Thin attendance was observed in most of the government and private offices. Educational institutions, banks and shops remained closed in many parts of the state, he added.
“There has been no report of any untoward incident from any part of the state so far. The protests have been peaceful,” the police official said.
The state units of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Left parties have been organising separate protests across the state.
“It was a complete shutdown. People have spontaneously joined the protest,” Communist Party of India leader Narayan Reddy said.
- Shutdown hits train traffic in Odisha - May 31, 2012
- Trade union strike: Normal life hit in Odisha - Feb 28, 2012
- Odisha traders down shutters against FDI in retail - Dec 01, 2011
- Shutdown cripples life in Odisha (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Shutdown against fuel price hike hits Orissa - Jul 05, 2010
- Trade unions' strike hits life, businesses in Orissa - Sep 07, 2010
- Mercury soars in Odisha, Titilagarh records 44.5 C - May 15, 2012
- Odisha protests over petrol price hike - May 24, 2012
- Congress shutdown hits life in Odisha - Sep 10, 2012
- Shutdown cripples life in Odisha - Sep 20, 2012
- Hundreds court arrest in Orissa (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Congress shutdown paralyses life in Odisha (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Shutdown hits trains and road traffic in Bihar - Sep 20, 2012
- Orissa town observes shutdown to support Anna - Aug 23, 2011
- Hooch kills 29 in Odisha, 10 held (Fourth Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjd, commissioner of police, communist party of india, deputy commissioner, east coast railway, educational institutions, howrah, india leader, left parties, other vehicles, passenger trains, police headquarters, police official, private offices, railway authorities, railway stations, rourkela, train services, untoward incident