Compensation doubled for violence-hit poll officialsApril 17th, 2009 - 11:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 17 (IANS) The Election Commission Friday announced doubling of the compensation amount from Rs.500,000 to Rs.1 million for poll officials who fall victim to attacks by extremist or anti-social elements during the elections.
“Vide its order dated February 17, 2009, the commission has doubled the amount of compensation from Rs.500,00 to Rs.1 million for ex-gratia payment to election related officials in the event of any mishap,” the Election Commission said in a statement issued here.
Communicating its decision to the state governments and union territories, the commission said: “If the death is unfortunately caused due to any violent acts of extremist or unsocial elements like road mines, bomb blasts, armed attacks etc., the amount of compensation should be doubled i.e. Rs. one million.”
The poll panel said that compensation worth Rs.250,000 be made in case of permanent disability like loss of limbs or eyesight and the amount should be doubled in case of attacks by extremist or unsocial elements.
The announcement comes a day after the first phase of elections in 124 Lok Sabha constituencies across 15 states and two union territories was held Thursday. The polls in Bihar, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand were marred by Maoist violence that claimed 19 lives, including those of 10 police personnel.
- Death on poll duty would get maximum Rs 10 lakh as compensation: EC - Mar 17, 2009
- Repolling likely in 33 booths in Manipur - Jan 31, 2012
- Full security for poll officials in Bengal's Maoist belt - Mar 30, 2011
- BSNL submits proposal on voluntary retirement to DoT - Nov 30, 2011
- Cancer victims of Bhopal tragedy cry for justice - May 05, 2011
- Three killed after falling from overcrowded Mumbai train (Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- Kanishka victims not after money, says campaigner - Dec 14, 2010
- Delhi cabinet approves hike in ex-gratia amount - Mar 09, 2011
- Mamata announces Rs.5 lakh compensation for families of dead - May 28, 2010
- Rs.10 lakh for Sep 7 blast victims: Court - Sep 21, 2011
- Additional Rs.134 crore approved for Bhopal gas victims - Mar 23, 2012
- Kanishka victims reject Canada's $24,000 ex-gratia - Jul 11, 2011
- Three killed after falling from overcrowded Mumbai train (Second Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- Rs.500,000 for kin of dead; will increase patrolling: Mamata (Lead) - May 28, 2010
- Animal attack victims in Tamil Nadu to get higher relief - Aug 17, 2011
Tags: 1 million, bomb blasts, chhattisgarh, election commission, extremist, eyesight, february 17, lok sabha constituencies, maoist, mishap, New Delhi, one million, rs 1, rs 500, rs one, social elements, state governments, union territories, violent acts, worth rs