Community feasts in Uttar Pradesh on Rahul’s birthday FridayJune 14th, 2009 - 10:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi/Lucknow, June 14 (IANS) Celebrating its gains in the Lok Sabha polls, the Congress in Uttar Pradesh will mark party general secretary Rahul Gandhi’s birthday June 19 with community feasts, mainly in Dalit-dominated areas.
“June 19 will be celebrated as Samrasta Diwas (Harmony Day) in Uttar Pradesh. Party workers at the district level and block level will distribute sweets followed by Sahbhoj (community feast) with the poor and Dalits,” Akhilesh Pratap Singh, spokesperson of the party unit in Uttar Pradesh, told IANS Sunday.
Rahul Gandhi, son of party president Sonia Gandhi and MP from Amethi, had focused on reviving the Congress in Uttar Pradesh and his strategy succeeded in the Lok Sabha results as the party won 21 seats.
The party is now eyeing the 2012 assembly elections.
- Low-key celebrations of Rahul Gandhi's birthday in Delhi - Jun 19, 2009
- Rahul Gandhi: M.Phil from Cambridge, MP since 2004 - Jul 20, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi turns 39 - Jun 19, 2009
- Elections 2012: UP poll battle begins Wednesday - Feb 06, 2012
- Congress trailing in Rae Bareli - Mar 06, 2012
- Maya attacks Akhilesh for changing names of eight districts (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- khilesh reverts names of eight UP districts - Jul 23, 2012
- Rahul to make three-day visit to Amethi - Nov 13, 2010
- Rahul in Amethi to 're-motivate' Congress workers - Apr 30, 2012
- Rahul to visit Amethi - Sep 12, 2012
- Gandhi charisma fading? Congress humbled in Rae Bareli, Amethi - Mar 06, 2012
- Rahul to review UP poll results Friday - Apr 03, 2012
- Rahul ready for bigger role, to be No 2 in party (Night Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Sonia, Priyanka descend on Rae Bareli - Feb 14, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi's 40th birthday grand affair in Uttar Pradesh - Jun 19, 2010
Tags: akhilesh, amethi, assembly elections, congress, feast, general secretary, harmony day, june 14, lok sabha results, lucknow, mp, New Delhi, party president, pratap singh, rahul gandhi, sonia gandhi, spokesperson, sweets