Communalism, terrorism big challenges to nation: PMJuly 29th, 2011 - 1:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 29 (IANS) Communalism and terrorism were “big challenges” to national integrity and needed to be fought collectively, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said here Friday.
Manmohan Singh, who was addressing a gathering at the National Communal Harmony Award distribution function here, said “some elements in society” were promoting communal disharmony that need to be defeated.
“We have to face these challenges together. We have to create awareness towards this,” the prime minister said in his address in Hindi.
“Communal brotherhood forms a large part of our age old traditions. We have to keep up with this legacy. This is our pious duty,” Manmohan Singh said at the event also attended by Home Minister P. Chidambaram and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L.K. Advani.
Vice President Hamid Ansari gave away the awards for the year 2009-10 to Mohammad Hanif Khan Shastri, who has written seven books on Hindu-Muslim unity in India. Khan got the award in the individual category.
The Center for Human Rights and Social Welfare got the award in the organisational category. The Rajasthan-based NGO is known to have organised interfaith dialogues and rallies to promote communal harmony and national integration in the country.
- Writer Acharya Lokesh Muni gets national integration award - Jan 25, 2011
- Government, society must keep watch on communal groups: PM - Aug 12, 2009
- Sanskrit scholar gets national communal harmony award - Jan 25, 2010
- International Interfaith Harmony award for Yusuf Ali - Feb 14, 2012
- President, PM greet nation on Raksha Bandhan - Aug 01, 2012
- Kerala-origin tycoon gets global harmony award - Mar 01, 2012
- Rajiv Gandhi Sadbhavana award for D.R. Mehta - Aug 04, 2012
- NIC meeting to discuss ways to curb radicalisation of youth - Sep 10, 2011
- Need to beef intelligence to combat terrorism: PM (Lead) - Sep 10, 2011
- Need to beef up intelligence gathering mechanism: PM - Sep 10, 2011
- Uncertainty looms over PM's visit to Pakistan - Jul 31, 2012
- PM urges agencies to shun bias in terror strike probes - Sep 10, 2011
- Trinamool Congress joins opposition against communal violence bill (Roundup) - Sep 10, 2011
- Minorities feel they are being targeted: PM - Sep 10, 2011
- NIC concerned over radicalisation of youth: Home secretary - Sep 10, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, communal disharmony, communal harmony, distribution function, hamid ansari, harmony award, home minister, interfaith dialogues, l k advani, manmohan singh, mohammad hanif, muslim unity, national integration, national integrity, p chidambaram, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, seven books, social welfare