Committee probing cash-for-vote scandal seeks timeOctober 19th, 2008 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 19 (IANS) A parliamentary committee tasked to probe the allegations of bribery levelled by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MPs has asked for more time to finalise its report.”We need to examine more evidence for which we require more time. It’s a serious issue and it concerns people’s faith in our parliamentary system. We have to examine each and every evidence in its minute detail,” Krishna Chandra Deo, chairman of the committee, told IANS Sunday.
The seven-member committee constituted by Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee under the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business to go into allegations levelled by the three BJP MPs - Ashok Argal, Faggan Singh Kulaste and Mahesh Bhagora.
They said they were offered cash for their support in the crucial trust vote of July 22. They alleged that Samajwadi Party general secretary Amar Singh was behind the entire episode and also named Ahmed Patel, Congress president Sonia Gandhi’s political secretary, as an accomplice.
The committee was expected to submit the report by Oct 17. However, the panel has not been able to finish its proceedings and will meet again Oct 30.
“We are going through the procedural requirements of the enquiry and the committee members will meet to discuss the progress of the investigation,” said Deo.
- Cash-for-votes scam: Ex-BJP worker to be quizzed - Jul 19, 2011
- Gadkari meets jailed party colleagues in Tihar - Oct 31, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Bail for Kulkarni, five others - Nov 16, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Order on bail plea of five accused Nov 16 (Lead) - Nov 14, 2011
- Working on cash-for-votes money trail, cops tell court - May 10, 2012
- Cash-for-vote scandal: SP, BJP MPs questioned - Jul 25, 2011
- Second arrest made in cash-for-votes case - Jul 20, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Summons for Samajwadi Party MP quashed - Dec 15, 2011
- Government protecting corrupt ministers: Advani - Oct 03, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Kulkarni, four others walk out of Tihar (Lead) - Nov 17, 2011
- Cash-for-votes scam: Sanjeev Saxena arrested - Jul 17, 2011
- Cash-for-vote 'heroes' should have been given Padma awards: Venkaiah - Oct 21, 2011
- Cash-for-votes scam: Bail pleas of Kulkarni, two others, to be heard Oct 13 - Oct 07, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: Kulkarni, two BJP former MPs walk out of Tihar - Nov 17, 2011
- Cash-for-votes: BJP feliciates Kulkarni, other accused - Nov 19, 2011