Committed to take corrective action on corruption: PMMay 22nd, 2011 - 10:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday said that developments relating to the 2G spectrum allocation, procurement matters related to the 2010 Commonwealth Games and similar issues in the states had led concerned citizens to worry about the state of governance and pervasiveness of corruption but his government was committted to take corrective action.
Speaking at a function to mark the second anniversary of the United Progressive Alliance-II (UPA-II) government at his official residence here, he said in the past several months a conjunction of several developments relating to the 2G spectrum allocation, procurement and contracting issues related to the Commonwealth Games and similar issues involving state governments have brought public focus on the issue of corruption in public life.
“The developments have caused many concerned citizens to worry about the state of governance and the pervasiveness of corruption. These are legitimate concerns and the UPA government is determined to take corrective action. The due processes of law are already in motion. We are taking steps to prevent such developments in future and reduce discretionary and arbitrary use of power by public officials,” the prime minister said.
- Saddened by corruption, will initiate course correction: PM (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- PM, Sonia focus on probity, action against corruption (Roundup) - May 23, 2011
- Will punish guilty, will prevent scams recurrence: UPA report - May 23, 2011
- PM vows to cleanse politics of scourge of corruption - May 28, 2011
- Scams, price rise tarnish UPA-II image - May 22, 2011
- Three years of UPA-II: Not much to celebrate - May 22, 2012
- UPA firm on anti-graft steps: Sonia Gandhi - May 22, 2011
- Ministers favour fast-tracking cases of corrupt officials - Feb 15, 2011
- Scams trigger stormy start to parliament winter session (Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- Opposition to raise graft issues during winter session - Nov 08, 2010
- Opposition to raise corruption issues in parliament - Nov 07, 2010
- PM touts better relations with Pakistan, India's global stature - May 22, 2012
- Tackling corruption, ushering reforms top priorities: President (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2011
- Opposition targets government over scams as session begins (Roundup) - Nov 09, 2010
- Government hit by integrity, leadership deficit: BJP - Feb 22, 2011
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, conjunction, corrective action, corruption, governance, legitimate concerns, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, pervasiveness, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, procurement, progressive alliance, public focus, public officials, spectrum allocation, state governments, taking steps, UPA