Committed to food security bill: ThomasJuly 18th, 2012 - 7:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 18 (IANS) Food Minister K.V. Thomas Wednesday said the union government was committed to ensuring food security of the people, particularly the vulnerable sections.
He said the proposed food security bill aimed to give legal rights to cheaper foodgrains to 63.5 percent of the population.
Around 180 million households — 65 million below poverty line (BPL) and 115 million above poverty line (APL) category families — get subsidised rations under the Public Distribution System through the fair price shops.
“The bill seeks to address the issue of food security in the country in a holistic manner by adopting a life cycle approach,” Thomas said while launching a bulletin on food justice in India brought out by the Oxfam India, a voluntary organisation and the Institute of Development Studies.
“The government is committed to ensure food and nutrition security of the people of the country, especially the vulnerable sections,” he said.
Accepting that it was a challenging task to ensure successful implementation of the food security bill of such scope and magnitude, he said: “All the stakeholders should contribute to make this historic initiative of the government a success. I welcome suggestions for improvement of food security situation in the country.”
The minister said the proposed legislation marked a paradigm shift in addressing the problem of food security — from it being viewed as a welfare approach to a right-based approach.
He said the government was awaiting the report of the parliamentary committee examining the bill.
“We are awaiting the outcome of deliberations by the standing committee so that we could take further action to take the bill forward,” he said.
- 'Food security bill can be global example' - Jul 17, 2012
- Pulses, edible oils may be subsidised to reduce prices: Food Minister (Interview) - Jul 26, 2012
- Food security bill to be tabled in monsoon session - Jul 26, 2011
- Centre, states to discuss food bill (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Committed to food security bill: minister - Oct 12, 2011
- Concerns on food bill to be addressed: Thomas - Feb 09, 2012
- Government reviews food security bill - Feb 29, 2012
- Grow more grains, Pawar tells states - Feb 08, 2012
- Landmark food security bill tabled in parliament (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Food bill: Thomas hopes for across spectrum support - Mar 22, 2012
- CPI-M denounces Food Security Bill - Dec 16, 2011
- 'Food security bill before cabinet soon' - Jul 21, 2011
- Tripura opposes food security bill - Oct 18, 2011
- Leakages to be plugged before food security implemented - Jun 10, 2012
- Government promises 'reasonably priced' food for all - Aug 10, 2011
Tags: bill thomas, bpl, food and nutrition, food minister, food security situation, foodgrains, holistic manner, life cycle approach, nutrition security, oxfam, paradigm shift, parliamentary committee, poverty line, public distribution system, rations, security bill, standing committee, union government, voluntary organisation, vulnerable sections