Combing operations in Bihar after five poll staff killedApril 24th, 2009 - 1:48 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, April 24 (IANS) The Bihar Police along with paramilitary forces launched combing operations early Friday after five poll personnel including four security men were killed in Bihar’s Muzaffarpur district when suspected Maoists triggered a landmine blast Thursday night.
Five poll personnel including four security men were killed in the landmine blast Thursday night near Mohammaddpur village under Deoria police station in Muzaffarpur district, about 70 km from here, when they were returning from the polling station, police said.
Two of the victims were identified as America Prasad, a sub inspector posted at Kazi Mohammadpur police station, and sector magistrate Sunil Kumar. A district armed police (DAP) constable and two home guards personnel were the others killed in the landmine blast.
Additional Director General of Police (Headquarters) Neelmani said that combing operations were launched by the state police along with the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel in Muzaffarpur to nab Maoists involved in the incident.
Neelmani said the Inspector General (Headquarters) Rajesh Ranjan along with CRPF personnel were on the job.
Bihar witnessed peaceful polling Thursday, barring a landmine blast triggered by suspected Maoists in which five people were injured in Sheohar constituency.
Bihar recorded a moderate 44 percent voter turnout in the second phase of Lok Sabha polls in 13 of the state’s 40 constituencies, election officials said.
During the first phase of polls in Bihar for 13 of the state’s 40 constituencies held April 16, two security personnel were killed by Maoists in Gaya district.
- EC changes poll timing, as Bihar goes to phase-II of elections on Sunday - Oct 23, 2010
- After Maoist attack, poll time changed in Bihar district - Oct 23, 2010
- Security up in Bihar after Maoists kill six policemen - Oct 23, 2010
- Five Bihar cops killed in landmine blast (Lead) - Oct 23, 2010
- Voting begins for second phase of Bihar polls (Second Lead) - Oct 24, 2010
- Maoists blow up culvert in Bihar district, one killed - Nov 14, 2010
- Five Bihar cops killed in landmine blast - Oct 23, 2010
- Maoists kill CRPF man, injure six in Bihar - Jun 10, 2012
- Maoists release kidnapped Bihar government officer - Aug 31, 2010
- Maoists kill CRPF trooper in Jharkhand - Dec 24, 2010
- Six security personnel killed in Maoist landmine blast in Bihar - Oct 23, 2010
- No trace of missing Bihar poll officials - May 16, 2011
- 67 percent polling, CRPF trooper killed in Jharkhand (Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Maoist violence in Bihar as polling under way - Oct 24, 2010
- Voting under way in Bihar amid Maoist disruptions (Third Lead) - Oct 24, 2010
Tags: armed police, bihar police, constable, election officials, gaya district, general headquarters, landmine blast, lok sabha polls, magistrate, maoists, muzaffarpur district, paramilitary forces, police headquarters, polling station, prasad, reserve police, second phase, security men, security personnel, sunil kumar