Colourful R-Day celebrations held in Uttar PradeshJanuary 26th, 2009 - 3:34 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Jan 26 (IANS) A march past by security forces, colourful tableaux and dances by school students marked the Republic Day celebrations held in the Uttar Pradesh capital Monday. The main function was held at the Vidhan Sabha Marg where Governor T.V. Rajeswar hoisted the national flag and took the salute at an impressive march past in front of the state assembly. Chief Minister Mayawati was also present at the nearly two-hour long function that started at 10 a.m.
Contingents of the Armed Constabulary, different wings of the Uttar Pradesh police, Home Guards and National Cadet Corps participated in the parade.
The parade started from the Charbagh area, covering a five-km route to reach the state assembly in Hazratganj in the heart of Lucknow.
Children from various city schools enacted scenes of security personnel repulsing terrorist attacks. Students also presented lively dances and showcased tableaux highlighting the rich cultural heritage of the state.
The state was on high alert in the wake of two suspected Pakistani terrorists being killed Sunday in Noida, a town adjoining New Delhi, officials said.
“Armed security personnel and snipers were deployed at important vantage points (in Lucknow),” said district police chief Akhil Kumar.
- Uttar Pradesh celebrates R-Day with patriotic zeal - Jan 26, 2011
- Policemen honoured in Uttar Pradesh on R-Day - Jan 26, 2010
- UP celebrates Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Cheers as Rajasthan celebrates R-Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Early Holi for supporters of Hanuman devotee Mulayam - Mar 06, 2012
- All roads to UP Raj Bhavan barricaded - Mar 06, 2012
- Pomp, pageantry mark Republic Day in Karnataka (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Nation gets set to celebrate 61st Republic Day - Jan 25, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh celebrates 63rd Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Heavily fortified Delhi gears up for Republic Day - Jan 25, 2011
- ABVP activists baton-charged - Aug 09, 2011
- Aspiring teachers baton-charged in Lucknow - Nov 21, 2011
- Mamata breaks tradition, hoists tricolour at Red Road - Aug 15, 2012
- India celebrates 63rd Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- 'Worth a lifetime,' say R-Day spectators - Jan 26, 2011
Tags: akhil kumar, chief minister, cultural heritage, district police, lively dances, marg, Mayawati, national cadet corps, national flag, noida, pakistani terrorists, republic day, security personnel, showcased, snipers, state assembly, uttar pradesh capital, uttar pradesh police, vantage points, vidhan sabha