Colourful parade, cultural pageantry at Bangalore’s R-Day celebrationsJanuary 26th, 2009 - 3:30 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Jan 26 (IANS) Braving the January chill, thousands of Bangaloreans thronged Field Marshal Manekshaw parade ground here Monday morning to see hundreds of children and youngsters presenting colourful programmes to mark the 60th Republic Day.Around 2,000 children, attired in their school uniforms, performed various dances to the melody of patriotic songs at the parade ground.
Contingents from 40 teams, including Indian Air Force, Border Security Force, Central Reserve Police Force and National Cadet Corps (NCC) participated in the march past. The two-hour long celebrations completed with cultural programmes and folk dances.
Karnataka Governor Rameshwar Thakur hoisted the national flag. A guard of honour was presented to the governor by contingents of three defence services, state police, NCC and Bharat Scouts. He went around the parade ground in an open jeep and greeted around 6,000 onlookers.
Thakur in his 30-minute speech paid homage to the martyrs and victims of the recent Mumbai terror attacks. “My heart goes out to the kith and kin of all those killed in the 60-hour-long Mumbai terror attacks that began Nov 26 last year.”
Elaborate security measures were taken by the police across the city.
Bangalore city (Law and Order) additional commissioner of police M.R. Pujar said around 15,000 security personnel were deployed across the city to ensure smooth celebrations.
Special traffic arrangements were also made to maintain a steady flow of VIP vehicles, visiting various official functions for the Republic Day.
Republic Day functions were held in all 29 districts of Karnataka.
- Karnataka governor calls for probity on R-Day (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Pomp, pageantry mark Republic Day in Karnataka (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Pageantry, national spirit mark R-Day fete in Karnataka (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Bhardwaj hits out against corruption on R'Day (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Pomp and pageantry mark R-Day celebration in Bangalore - Jan 26, 2010
- Karnataka celebrates Independence Day - Aug 15, 2012
- Tight security in Bangalore for safe R-Day - Jan 25, 2010
- Karnataka celebrates Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Karnataka governor hoists tricolour - Jan 26, 2011
- Karnataka celebrates Independence Day (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- At R-Day parade, Karnataka governor seeks action against church attackers (Lead) - Jan 26, 2010
- Tight security in Bangalore for R-Day - Jan 24, 2009
- Himachal braves cold, marks Republic Day (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- Gaiety, patriotic fervour mark I-Day in Karnataka - Aug 15, 2011
- Tight security in Bangalore for Independence Day - Aug 14, 2011
Tags: border security force, city bangalore, commissioner of police, defence services, field marshal, folk dances, guard of honour, indian air force, kith, minute speech, national cadet corps, open jeep, parade ground, patriotic songs, rameshwar, republic day, reserve police, school uniforms, security measures, traffic arrangements