Coal block auctioning to begin in two months: JaiswalJune 8th, 2012 - 5:46 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, June 8 (IANS) Union Coal Minister Shriprakash Jaiswal Friday said new coal blocks had been identified and their auctioning would begin in the next two months.
“The coal block auctioning will begin in two months. The coal blocks have been identified. The identified coal blocks have been categorised for PSUs (public sector undertakings), private sector and others,” he told reporters here.
He denied that there was any scam in allocation of coal blocks.
“There is no scam in allocation of the coal blocks. The coal blocks were allocated since 1993 considering the need of the country for thermal power sectors.
“The CIL (Coal India Limited) could not meet the requirements of the thermal power plants and this is the reason coal blocks were allocated,” Jaiswal said.
He said: “A total of 220 coal blocks were allocated since 1993. The allocation of 27 coal blocks was cancelled. Of the rest 193 coal blocks, 100 were allocated to private sectors and 93 to PSUs. Only 29 of the 193 allocated coal blocks are operating.”
The coal minister said 35 coal blocks were also allocated during the tenure of the National Democratic Alliance government.
He also denied the role of the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) in allocation of the coal blocks.
To a query, he said coal mafia were outsourcing coal and it was the duty of the state governments to curb illegal mining.
- Hope to auction coal blocks by year-end, says Jaiswal - Aug 24, 2012
- BJP's charges on coal blocks are false: Coal minister - Sep 11, 2012
- Government mulls competitive bidding of coal blocks - May 24, 2011
- Facing allegations for being a Jaiswal: Coal minister - Sep 04, 2012
- PM attacks CAG, BJP won't give up (Intro Roundup) - Aug 27, 2012
- Coal Minister invites foreign investment - Aug 03, 2012
- Reverse privatisation of minerals: CPI-M - Aug 30, 2012
- We cannot meet power firms' coal demands: Minister - Dec 01, 2011
- Jaiswal refutes charges on coal block allocations - Jun 01, 2012
- Team Anna rejects CBI probe in 'coalgate' (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Coal auction was opposed by five states, says minister - Aug 22, 2012
- Team Anna, opposition spew fire on 'coalgate'; CBI probes (Roundup) - Jun 01, 2012
- No coal block allocated during UPA-II regime: Jaiswal - Aug 27, 2012
- Inter-ministerial group reviews coal block allocations - Sep 03, 2012
- Prime Minister's statement on coal block allocation - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: alliance government, coal india limited, mafia, national democratic alliance, pmo, power sectors, prime minister, private sector, private sectors, public sector undertakings, ranchi, state governments, tenure, thermal power plants