Close aide of legislator arrested in Ranvir Sena chief’s killingJune 6th, 2012 - 1:14 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 6 (IANS) A special investigation team (SIT) of the Bihar Police has arrested a close aide of a ruling party legislator in connection with the June 1 killing of Ranvir Sena chief Brahmeshwar Singh ‘Mukhiya’, police said Wednesday.
The SIT arrested the close aide of Janata Dal-United (JD-U) legislator Sunil Pandey late Tuesday night from Jamshedpur in Jharkhand.
“The arrested man is being brought to Bihar for interrogation. It is a major breakthrough in the case,” a police officer said.
He, however, refused to give more details.
Two days ago, the SIT arrested seven people from different villages in Bhojpur district in connection with the case, the official said.
Brahmeshwar Singh, in his 70s, was killed by unidentified gunmen Friday morning in Ara town, district headquarters of Bhojpur, about 60 km from here. He founded the Ranvir Sena in 1994. The Sena, an outlawed upper caste private militia, was involved in several massacres.
The killing had sparked large-scale violence and arson in Ara. The supporters had indulged in violence even during the funeral procession of Bhahmeshwar Singh Saturday.
On a tip-off, the SIT team raided a house Tuesday night in Jamshedpur and arrested the close aide of the legislator Sunil Pandey.
“The SIT expect vital information from him,” a police official said.
Pandey, a criminal turned politician, was allegedly a conspirator in the killing of the Ranvir Sena chief. But neither police nor SIT have officially named him.
Ironically, Pandey, JD-U legislator from Terari assembly constituency, and his brother Hulas Pandey, who is also a JD-U legislator, were considered close to the slain Ranvir Sena chief. Both brothers were active supporters of Ranvir Sena in late 90s.
“They were closely associated with Ranvir Sena,” an official said.
Pandey was convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment for the kidnapping of a noted neuro-surgeon in Patna.
- Two legislators linked to Ranvir Sena chief murder? - Jun 08, 2012
- Two Bihar legislators face social boycott - Jul 24, 2012
- Seven held in Ranvir Sena chief killing case (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Another arrest in Ranvir Sena chief murder case - Aug 31, 2012
- Chargesheet filed over Ranvir Sena chief murder - Aug 28, 2012
- Violent protests rock Bihar for third day - Jun 03, 2012
- Thousands join Ranvir Sena chief's funeral - Jun 02, 2012
- Violence during Ranvir Sena chief's funeral (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Bihar fears revenge attack after Ranvir Sena chief's killing - Jun 07, 2012
- Jailed Bihar politician to be awarded Ph.D - Jul 07, 2012
- Ranvir Sena chief killed, curfew imposed on Bihar town (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- CBI probe recommended in Ranvir Sena chief killing - Jun 06, 2012
- Ranvir Sena chief shot dead; Bihar put on alert (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Bihar officials asked to explain Dalit hostel attack - Jul 25, 2012
- Bihar court acquits 23 in caste massacre case - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: arson, bihar police, conspirator, constituency, district headquarters, friday morning, funeral procession, hulas, interrogation, investigation team, jamshedpur, janata, legislator, life imprisonment, massacres, police official, ranvir sena, ruling party, unidentified gunmen, upper caste