Clinton urges Assad to transfer powerJune 7th, 2012 - 9:36 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, June 7 (IANS) US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton Thursday urged Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to transfer power and leave his country. On the same day, reports said at least 86 people were killed in a fresh massacre in the country.
Clinton made the statement at a joint press conference in Istanbul with Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu on the sidelines of the two-day Global Counter-terrorism Forum, Xinhua reported.
Violence in Syria is “simply unconscionable”, Clinton said, blaming Assad for the killings.
She said the US will continue to mount political and economic pressure on the Syrian government.
“We will intensify our efforts to support the Syrian people, given the urgency of the situation,” she said.
Clinton said foreign ministers from many Western and Arab countries held an unofficial meeting in Istanbul Wednesday night and discussed additional steps on Syria, including support to the Syrian people for a transition process that would lead to “a inclusive and democratic post-Assad Syria”.
Earlier, opposition activists and Syrian government forces clashed in al-Qubayr village in the country’s northern Hama province, in which at least 86 people were killed. The government, however, said only nine people were killed by a “terrorist group”.
The toll figure was declared by Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and the Local Coordination Committees, Al Jazeera reported Thursday.
- Nearly 90 killed in new massacre in Syria: Report - Jun 07, 2012
- Around 90 killed in fresh massacre in Syria: Report (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Protesters storm Syrian consulate in Istanbul - Feb 06, 2012
- Turkish journalists released from Syria - May 13, 2012
- Syria's Assad unveils new government - Jun 23, 2012
- European group calls for UNSC arms embargo on Syria - Apr 27, 2012
- Assad departure no solution to Syrian problems: Russia - Mar 28, 2012
- 25 killed in fresh Syria massacre - Jun 22, 2012
- August deadliest month in Syria; 5,000 killed - Sep 05, 2012
- Russia denies holding talks over Assad exit - Jun 16, 2012
- Syrian opposition elects new leader - Jun 10, 2012
- US 'disgusted' by Russia, China veto on Syria resolution - Feb 05, 2012
- Russia urges Syria to call off troops - Apr 03, 2012
- Iran rejects foreign intervention in Syria - Aug 08, 2012
- Britain backs Syria conference plan 'in principle' - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,