CITU calls off July 31 transport strikeJuly 29th, 2012 - 6:46 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 29 (IANS) The CPI-M’s labour arm CITU Sunday withdrew the call for a transport strike Tuesday, a day after bus operators in West Bengal pulled out of the agitation.
“Left Front chairman Biman Bose requested us to withdraw the July 31 strike as Left parties have decided to carry out mass movements in West Bengal Aug 1 to 3,” Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU) state president Shyamal Chakraborty said.
“So we have decided to withdraw from the transport strike for the time being,” he said.
The bus operators Saturday pulled out of the strike after assurances from the government even as CITU said it stood by its strike call against the hike in fuel prices.
CITU’s U-turn comes at a time when, along with bus operators, other Leftist unions has dissociated themselves from the strike, calling it an unilateral decision by CITU.
- Mamata scores major points against Left (West Bengal Newsletter) - Aug 04, 2012
- Bengal bus operators pull out of strike, CITU to go ahead - Jul 28, 2012
- Mamata takes on centre, Left over fuel price hike (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jul 28, 2012
- CITU calls 24-hour Bengal transport strike, Mamata fumes (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- CITU calls 24-hour transport strike in West Bengal July 31 - Jul 26, 2012
- CITU hails strike as success, calls Mamata liar - Feb 28, 2012
- Mamata warns officials against taking part in transport strike (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- A strike call that has galvanised the Mamata government (West Bengal Newsletter) - Feb 26, 2012
- Petrol price hike: Strike planned in Bengal Monday - Jan 16, 2011
- CPI-M labour union puts off strike in West Bengal - Apr 09, 2010
- CITU shutdown in Bengal against fuel price hike - Jun 25, 2010
- CITU's transport strike April 13 in West Bengal - Apr 07, 2010
- Transport strike disrupts normal life in Bengal (Lead) - Jun 26, 2010
- Mamata regime's anti-strike circular obnoxious, says Left Front - Feb 24, 2012
- Shutdown hits life in West Bengal (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2010
Tags: agitation, assurances, bus operators, chakraborty, CPI, fuel prices, indian trade unions, labour, left parties, mass movements, shyamal, state president, transport strike, u turn, unilateral decision, west bengal