Christian Wulff nominated as next German presidentJune 3rd, 2010 - 10:10 pm ICT by IANS
Berlin, June 3 (DPA) Christian Wulff, the state premier of Lower Saxony, was nominated Thursday as the next German president, government sources told DPA.
Chancellor Angela Merkel’s centre-right coalition proposed the 50-year-old as the successor to Horst Koehler, who unexpectedly resigned at the start of the week.
The next president is due to be formally voted into office by a special assembly June 30. Merkel’s coalition majority means their chosen candidate is likely to succeed.
Earlier in the week, rumours had abounded that Labour Minister Ursula von der Leyen could become Germany’s first female president.
Wulff, 50, has been one of Merkel’s key rivals within her Christian Democratic Union party (CDU.)
His appointment to the largely ceremonial role would remove him from the political fray, just weeks after another of Merkel’s CDU critics, Hesse state premier Roland Koch, announced his resignation.
The post of president is elected by a special body known as a Federal Council, which comprises the entire membership of the Bundestag parliament, plus an equal number of representatives nominated by the 16 states.
- Christian Wulff elected German president after tense vote - Jul 01, 2010
- Christian Wulff becomes 10th German president - Jul 02, 2010
- German president quits over loan scandal (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- German coalition deal formally signed - Oct 27, 2009
- German president steps down over Afghanistan remarks - May 31, 2010
- Merkel's conservatives win German regional election - Jan 19, 2009
- Germany abolishes military conscription - Mar 25, 2011
- Merkel's election law reform declared unconstitutional - Jul 26, 2012
- German president seeks second term - May 23, 2009
- Merkel's coalition given thumbs down in state poll - May 10, 2010
- Hindus tell Germany & Angela Merkel not to stigmatize entire community of "outsiders" - Oct 17, 2010
- German Foreign Minister Westerwelle steps down as German Vice Chancellor - Apr 05, 2011
- Setback for Merkel's party in German state polls - Aug 31, 2009
- Germany readies legislation for its part in G7 bailout - Oct 12, 2008
- German president to visit India February 2010 - Dec 15, 2009
Tags: angela merkel, bundestag, cdu, ceremonial role, chancellor angela merkel, christian democratic union, christian wulff, dpa, female president, german president, government sources, hesse, horst koehler, june 3, key rivals, labour minister, lower saxony, number of representatives, political fray, roland koch