Chiranjeevi’s party gets symbol — finallyMarch 27th, 2009 - 9:31 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, March 27 (IANS) The Praja Rajyam Party (PRP) of actor-turned-politician Chiranjeevi and the Lok Satta party of former bureaucrat Jaiprakash Narayan got a major relief Friday following the Supreme Court fiat to the Election Commission to allot them common election symbols.
Chiranjeevi thanked the apex court for its order, directing the poll panel to allot “rail engine” as the symbol for PRP.
“We had full faith in judiciary and were sure of getting justice,” Chiranjeevi told reporters while campaigning in West Goadavari district in coastal Andhra Pradesh.
The Supreme Court Friday directed the Election Commission to accommodate the demand of three registered but unrecognised political parties, including Tamil star Vijaykanth’s DMDK, for common symbol in their states.
Chiranjeevi’s party had approached the court after the Election Commission rejected its demand to allot “rail engine” as the common symbol on the ground that only recognised national and state-level parties were entitled to have a fixed and common symbol.
The court order has come as a major relief to PRP, which was worried about its performance in the absence of a common symbol.
Lok Satta president Jaiprakash Narayan hailed the Supreme Court order. “The (whistle) symbol signifies the awakening we are trying to create among people,” he said.
- Let parties have symbols they want, apex court tells poll panel - Mar 27, 2009
- Apex court allocates poll symbols to MNS, others - Sep 14, 2009
- Apex court rejects plea on election symbols (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Apex court asks poll panel to give parties symbols they want (Lead) - Mar 27, 2009
- Common symbols for Praja Rajyam, DMDK and Lok Satta - Mar 27, 2009
- 2,773 candidates in Tamil Nadu poll fray - Mar 31, 2011
- Apex court rejects plea on election symbols - Apr 18, 2012
- Court asks EC to give Chiranjeevi's party one symbol for all seats - Feb 06, 2009
- Chiranjeevi's party gets new election symbol - Jul 17, 2009
- SC issues notice to Election Commission, PRP - Apr 02, 2009
- Chiranjeevi's PRP merges with Congress - Jun 13, 2011
- Andhra legislators roughed up in assembly (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Telagu superstar Chiranjeevi''s party fails to get an election symbol - Mar 03, 2009
- Lok Satta chief Jaiprakash manhandled in Andhra assembly - Feb 17, 2011
- Chiranjeevi's party drops plea for one symbol for its candidates - Mar 17, 2009
Tags: actor turned politician, andhra pradesh, apex, apex court, bureaucrat, campaigning, chiranjeevi, dmdk, election commission, faith, fiat, judiciary, lok satta, political parties, poll, praja, prp, supreme court, tamil star, vijaykanth