Chiranjeevi to embark on Andhra tour Oct 6September 28th, 2008 - 10:32 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Sep 28 (IANS) Telugu superstar-turned-politician Chiranjeevi will embark on a state-wide tour Oct 6 to take his newly-floated Praja Rajyam party closer to the people.He will start the much-awaited tour from Srikakulam district, the northeastern tip of Andhra Pradesh. After covering the coastal districts, the star will visit Telangana region in the second phase. The third phase will take him to Rayalseema region.
“I will cover 50 km every day interacting with the people and explaining to them the policies of Praja Rajyam,” he told a news conference here Sunday.
Chiranjeevi, who floated his party Aug 26, the birth anniversary of Mother Teresa, will be launching a week-long flag festival Oct 2, the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. During the festival, the party flags will be hoisted in every village, town and city.
The party will also launch its membership drive on the same day. “I will give first membership to physically challenged Balakrishna Naidu and I will take the second membership,” Chiranjeevi said. He had already announced the physically challenged youth would be the first member of the party.
The Praja Rajyam founder said the party would also plant 10 million trees all over the state during the flag festival. He asked all his fans and supporters to take part wholeheartedly in the plantation drive to increase the green cover and save the environment.
“Each person becoming the member of the party will have to plant a sapling,” he said.
The film actor, who recently visited Sircilla town to meet families of weavers who ended their lives during last few years, expressed deep shock over the suicide by three weavers in the town.
He announced financial help of Rs 25,000 to the families of five weavers who committed suicide during last few days. He said the government should take immediate steps to help the crisis-ridden weavers community.
Chiranjeevi, who said he entered politics after being inspired by former president A.P.J Abdul Kalam, criticized him for his support to the India-US nuclear deal.
“He is a scientist and a statesman and he should not get involved in a political issue. Perhaps he has not carefully read the documents of the nuclear deal. It has a far reaching implications for the country,” he said.
Chiranjeevi, who Friday visited Polepalli in Mahabunagar district to meet those displaced by pharma Special Economic Zone (SEZ), advised Chief Minister Y. S. Rajasekhara Reddy to visit Gujrat and see how the SEZs were being developed there without harming the interest of the farmers.
“There should be no place for developing real estate in the SEZs. The land should be used only for the industrial activities,” he said.
- Chiranjeevi supports farmers' agitation against SEZ - Sep 26, 2008
- Chiranjeevi joins Congress - Aug 20, 2011
- Chiranjeevi unhappy with Congress - Dec 03, 2011
- PRP legislators take Congress membership - Aug 22, 2011
- Chiranjeevi to take Congress membership Aug 20 - Aug 13, 2011
- Chiranjeevi's son-in-law booked for dowry harassment - Mar 15, 2011
- Dowry case: Chiranjeevi's son-in-law's bail plea rejected - Mar 24, 2011
- Chiranjeevi to meet Sonia Gandhi Sunday - Feb 05, 2011
- Chiranjeevi may field poor tribal woman as party candidate - Oct 27, 2008
- Chiranjeevi satisfied with inclusion in Congress panel - Dec 23, 2011
- Chiranjeevi, Renuka, four others file papers for Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2012
- Chiranjeevi's PRP to decide on Congress offer soon - Feb 01, 2011
- Chiranjeevi meets weavers in first public appearance - Sep 20, 2008
- Congress legislators loyal to Jagan plan to quit - Aug 19, 2011
- It's curtains for Chiranjeevi's PRP - Mar 12, 2012