Chiranjeevi booked for poll code violationApril 18th, 2009 - 2:40 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, April 18 (IANS) Police in Andhra Pradesh’s Nellore district Saturday registered a case against actor-turned-politician Chiranjeevi for allegedly violating the model code of conduct.
The Praja Rajyam Party (PRP) chief reportedly addressed a public meeting beyond 10 p.m., the time when campaigning has to stop.
Police said Chiranjeevi arrived late in the town and continued addressing a road show till 11 p.m. He reportedly did not stop even after the police intervention.
The police have also booked cases against local PRP leaders and candidates.
Meanwhile in Hyderabad, Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) president Asaduddin Owaisi surrendered to the police Friday night after being accused of beating up a polling agent of the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) Thursday.
Owaisi, seeking re-election from the Hyderabad Lok Sabha constituency, surrendered at the Mogahlpura police station. He was immediately released on a personal bond and surety of Rs.10,000.
Owaisi, who had chased and thrashed the TDP agent with a stick for allegedly distributing money among voters, was booked for rioting, criminal trespass, unlawful assembly, voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons and disobedience to an order promulgated by a public servant.
- MIM leader Akbaruddin Owaisi injured in firing (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Pranab appeals to all Andhra parties to support him (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- MIM chief Owaisi meets Jagan in jail - Jun 19, 2012
- Arrest writers for reading out 'Satanic Verses': MP (Lead) - Jan 21, 2012
- MIM legislator Owaisi discharged from hospital - May 20, 2011
- MP demands arrest of writers for reading 'Satanic Verses' - Jan 21, 2012
- Hyderabad MP urges northeast people to stay - Aug 17, 2012
- Owaisi seeks action against lax cops for riots - Apr 12, 2012
- MIM leader Owaisi injured in attack, Hyderabad tense (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- MIM not to pursue politics of murder, says Asaduddin Owaisi - May 22, 2011
- MIM leader Akbar Owaisi injured in attack; Hyderabad tense (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Chiranjeevi authorised to decide on tie-up with Congress - Feb 03, 2011
- PRP's merger with Congress may benefit TDP, Jagan (News Analysis) - Feb 07, 2011
- Six Hindu Vahini activists arrested in Hyderabad - Nov 14, 2011
- Congress, TDP split on Telangana ahead of all-party meet - Jan 04, 2010
Tags: actor turned politician, andhra pradesh, chiranjeevi, criminal trespass, dangerous weapons, Lok Sabha, model code, nellore district, personal bond, police intervention, police station, poll code, praja, prp, public servant, sabha constituency, surety, tdp, telugu desam party, unlawful assembly