China to send tourists to Xisha IslandsApril 5th, 2012 - 3:47 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, April 5 (IANS) China is going to open its Xisha Islands to tourists in a bid to reassert its sovereignty over a scattering of islands and reefs in the South China Sea.
According to the National Tourism Administration, a luxury cruise ship named Coconut Princess will take tourists from Haikou and Sanya cities to the islands, China National Radio reported.
However, only Yongxing, the biggest of the islands, is suitable for landing.
There are neither mobile phone signals nor Internet access on the island, but visitors can make a phone call in a post office on the island, the Shanghai Daily quoted the radio as saying.
The cruise is likely to be launched this year. In the next stage, the ship will go to other uninhabited islands in the South China Sea.
“The Xisha Islands tourism plan enables us to guard the frontier and stake our claims to these islands,” said Wang Zhifa, deputy director of the National Tourism Administration.
Located southeast of Hainan, these are 22 islands, seven sandbanks and a dozen reefs. Its scenery is comparable to that of the Maldives.
- Cultural relics found in South China Sea - Jul 29, 2012
- China establishes new city - Jul 24, 2012
- Chinese military base in South China Sea - Jul 23, 2012
- 130,000 evacuated in China floods - Oct 07, 2010
- China to develop uninhabited islands for tourism - Apr 11, 2011
- Rush for Sansha domain names in China - Jul 26, 2012
- Typhoon Kai-Tak causes havoc in China (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- China will not accept provocative action in South China Sea: Official - Jun 26, 2012
- 300,000 evacuated as typhoon lands in south China - Sep 29, 2011
- Vietnam protests China's tourism plan in disputed islands - Jan 05, 2010
- China to reinforce territorial claims - Mar 27, 2012
- China protests Vietnam claim to islands - Jun 21, 2012
- 33,000 evacuated in China floods - Oct 06, 2010
- China braces for tropical storm Nock-Ten - Jul 29, 2011
- Chinese hotel fined after food poisoning - Aug 19, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,