China to lift 100,000 people out of povertyMarch 11th, 2012 - 10:40 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, March 11 (IANS) China will lift more than 100,000 people out of poverty in the next five years in the country’s Tibetan region, according to a government plan.
In 2011, the government raised the national poverty alleviation standard from 1,274 yuan ($202) to 2,300 yuan, putting 430,000 people in poverty bracket in northwestern Gannan Tibetan prefecture, said Wei Jianrong, Communist Party of China’s regional secretary.
Beijing now plans to lift more than 100,000 people out of poverty in the prefecture by 2015, Xinhua reported.
The State Council, the country’s top legislature, has earmarked 178 million yuan (about $28 million) in poverty alleviation and disaster prevention program in the region.
Commercial crops were planted for industrial development and dams were built to prevent further geological disasters, according to the prefecture’s poverty alleviation office.
- China issues white paper on poverty reduction - Nov 16, 2011
- China to mourn mudslide victims Sunday, flags to be at half-mast (Lead) - Aug 14, 2010
- China quake: Toll rises to 67; over 700 injured - Sep 08, 2012
- China quake: Toll rises to 80 (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- Landslide kills 65 in China's Gansu Province - Aug 08, 2010
- The lost art of Tibetan knife-making - Aug 29, 2011
- China raises poverty line for farmers - Nov 29, 2011
- 96 die, 2,000 missing in China landslides (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2010
- China spends $79 mn from lottery on poor - Jan 27, 2012
- At least 127 dead, more than 1,000 missing after landslides in northwest China - Aug 09, 2010
- China to resettle 45,000 mudslide-affected people - Aug 11, 2010
- China to mourn nationwide for mudslide victims Sunday - Aug 14, 2010
- 80 dead, 2,000 missing in China landslides (Lead) - Aug 08, 2010
- China to use chicken army to fight locusts - Jul 07, 2012
- China helps 12 mn quake-hit people with $137 bn expenditure - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: beijing, commercial crops, communist party of china, dams, disaster prevention, disasters, gannan, government plan, march 11, national poverty, next five years, poverty alleviation, prefecture, prevention program, regional secretary, xinhua, yuan