China commemorates centenary of imperial rule’s endOctober 9th, 2011 - 2:45 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Oct 9 (IANS) China held a grand ceremony at the Great Hall of the People here Sunday to commemorate the centennial of the 1911 Revolution that terminated 2,000 years of imperial rule.
The 1911 Revolution, or the Xinhai Revolution, began Oct 10, 1911 with an armed uprising.
Chinese President Hu Jintao stressed that the country will continue to vigorously foster patriotism and strengthen the great unity of all China’s ethnic groups and of all the Chinese at home and abroad, Xinhua reported.
“Patriotism is the soul of the Chinese nation and a powerful force mobilizing and uniting the whole nation to strive to revitalize China,” said Hu.
“We must consolidate and expand the broadest possible patriotic united front, and foster harmonious relations between political parties, between ethnic groups, between religions, between social strata, and between compatriots at home and overseas,” added Hu.
- Huge Mao suit marks 100 years of a revolution - Sep 19, 2011
- Tibetan self immolations: Why isn't the world listening? (Comment) - Mar 29, 2012
- Jackie Chan's 100th movie '1911' gets Sept. 26 release - Mar 19, 2011
- Hu, Putin discuss bilateral cooperation, strategic tie-ups - Oct 12, 2011
- China seeks closer ties with Germany - Feb 03, 2012
- Chinese president arrives in Hawaii for APEC meeting - Nov 11, 2011
- Pakistan, China declare 2011 'Year of Friendship' - Jan 01, 2011
- G20 must ensure economic growth: Chinese president - Nov 02, 2011
- China, Russia pledge close ties - May 09, 2010
- 100-year-old Chinese book mentioned Titanic - Apr 10, 2012
- China, Afghanistan vow to fight terror - Jun 08, 2012
- Chinese President Hu proposes four points to improve US relations - Jan 18, 2011
- China urges restraint on Korean Peninsula (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Chinese president meets Clinton - Sep 05, 2012
- Hu Jintao's 'landmark' US visit to 'revolutionize' US-China ties - Oct 22, 2010
Tags: armed uprising, beijing, centennial, china, chinese nation, chinese president hu, chinese president hu jintao, compatriots, grand ceremony, harmonious relations, hu jintao, imperial rule, patriotism, political parties, president hu jintao, religions, social strata, united front, unity, xinhua