Child tying minister’s shoe laces raises a stink (Second Lead)January 22nd, 2012 - 3:05 am ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Jan 21 (IANS) Madhya Pradesh Cooperatives Minister Gauri Shankar Bisen came under attack Saturday after he was filmed getting his shoe laces tied by a tribal student at a function.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) minister was in Chhindwara district, 270 km from here, Friday along with union Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath to lay the foundation stone for a road’s construction.
Bisen, who has a knack for making controversial statements, got his shoe laces tied not once but twice by the schoolboy. The boy tied the laces first on the podium of the function and later at the field where the foundation stone was to be laid.
Nath told reporters in Chhindwara town later: “I condemn yesterday’s (Friday) act. It is very shameful and unfortunate that it happened. I was sitting on stage but I had no idea. I was talking to other people. I came to know about it eight hours after the incident.”
The issue has given state Congress leaders fresh reasons to attack Bisen and the ruling BJP.
“This shows the attitude of Bisen towards tribals and minor students. It is another example of the kind of ministers in the Shivraj Singh Chouhan cabinet,” Congress spokesperson K.K. Mishra said.
“The Congress will hit the road soon to get the minister removed from the cabinet,” he added.
However, state BJP president Prabhat Jha sees it was a “father-son gesture” and blamed media for highlighting such a “trivial” issue.
“There is nothing wrong in it. It was a father-son gesture and the media is highlighting the issue,” Jha said when asked about his party minister’s act.
- Anger over child tying shoe laces of Madhya Pradesh minister - Jan 21, 2012
- Child asked to tie minister's shoe laces (Lead) - Jan 21, 2012
- Child tying minister's shoe laces shameful: Kamal Nath - Jan 21, 2012
- Controversial Madhya Pradesh minister puts foot in mouth - Mar 21, 2012
- Minister apologises for child tying shoelaces - Jan 22, 2012
- Indian Minister Gauri Shankar Bisen involved in shoe-lace tying row - Jan 23, 2012
- Congress protests remarks by BJP leaders on ministers - May 23, 2011
- Congress's new Madhya Pradesh leaders attack BJP chief - Apr 28, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh bypoll turns prestige issue for Congress, BJP - Jun 24, 2011
- Arjun Singh had admirers galore in BJP - Mar 05, 2011
- Foundation stone laid for CII's industrial training centre - Mar 10, 2011
- BJP wins one seat in Madhya Pradesh by-polls - Feb 17, 2011
- BJP win both seats in Madhya Pradesh (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- EC bans 'peo-puttar' words in Punjab poll campaign - Jan 22, 2012
- Photo shows BJP leader with Masood murder accused - Mar 01, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bisen, bjp president, congress leaders, controversial statements, cooperatives, development minister, eight hours, foundation stone, gauri shankar, kamal nath, madhya pradesh, minor students, mishra, prabhat jha, schoolboy, shoe laces, state congress, tribals, trivial issue