Chief minister misses R-Day parade in Tamil NaduJanuary 26th, 2009 - 3:27 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 26 (IANS) Tamil Nadu Governor Surjit Singh Barnala unfurled the national flag on the Marina Beach here and took salute at the parade Monday, in a function marked by the absence of Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi, who was in hospital with back pain. State ministers, officials and a large number of onlookers watched the parade in which tableaux of different state government agencies showcased their achievements.
Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi could not participate in the celebrations as he was hospitalised earlier Monday with a severe back pain.
The day was celebrated across the state. There were no reports of any untoward incidents though two people were arrested in Sivakasi for flying black flags atop their houses.
- R-Day celebrated across Tamil Nadu - Jan 26, 2010
- Republic Day celebrated in Tamil Nadu - Jan 26, 2011
- West Bengal celebrates Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Tamil Nadu celebrates Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Patriotic fervour marks I-Day celebrations in Andhra - Aug 15, 2012
- Tamil Nadu celebrates Republic Day (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- West Bengal celebrates Republic Day (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Gujarat celebrates R-Day with fervour - Jan 26, 2011
- Tamil Nadu leaders pay tribute to Gandhi - Oct 02, 2010
- India salutes heroes on Republic Day (States Roundup) - Jan 26, 2009
- Bengal governor unfurls tricolour at colourful parade - Jan 26, 2011
- Pomp, pageantry mark Republic Day in Karnataka (Lead) - Jan 26, 2012
- UP celebrates Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Meghalaya celebrates I-Day amid shutdown - Aug 15, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh celebrates R-Day with patriotic zeal - Jan 26, 2011
Tags: absence, black flags, celebrations, chief minister, m karunanidhi, marina beach, misses, national flag, onlookers, salute, severe back pain, sivakasi, state government agencies, state ministers, surjit singh, tableaux