Chidambaram’s Bhojpuri impresses Lok Sabha (Lead)May 17th, 2012 - 5:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 17 (IANS) Lok Sabha members were in for a pleasant surprise Thursday when Home Minister P. Chidambaram, who is fluent in Tamil and English, spoke a sentence in Bhojpuri, earning praise from Speaker Meira Kumar.
Chidambaram was replying to a calling attention motion on the need to give Bhojpuri the status of an official language.
“Hum sabke bhawna samjhat bani (I understand the sentiments of all of you),” Chidambaram said, surprising the members.
The packed house erupted into elation, with members thumping their desks in appreciation.
Chidambaram promised to expedite the process of considering the reports of two committees regarding Bhojpuri.
Meira Kumar, who is from Bihar, said it was a matter of great joy that Chidambaram, whom she has never heard even speak in Hindi, spoke briefly in Bhojpuri.
Meira Kumar expressed the hope that the minister will return to the house soon with the “happy news” that Bhojpuri is an official language.
- Chidambaram stuns Lok Sabha, speaks in Bhojpuri - May 17, 2012
- House spoke as one on northeast issue: Meira Kumar - Aug 17, 2012
- Shinde debuts as leader of Lok Sabha - Aug 08, 2012
- Northeast exodus unites parties, PM assures safety (Third Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Parties unite for northeast, PM assures safety (Second Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Lok Sabha condemns Team Anna's derogatory remarks (Fourth Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Lok Sabha condemns Team Anna's derogatory remarks (Third Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Lok Sabha condemns Team Anna's derogatory remarks (Second Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Uproar in Lok Sabha over Chidambaram's role in telecom deal - May 08, 2012
- Protest against Sri Lankan delegation in Lok Sabha - Aug 01, 2011
- Sri Lankan leaders heckled in Lok Sabha (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Chidambaram invokes Jesus to deny corruption charges (Third Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Jubiliant Congress workers celebrate Mukherjee's victory (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Telangana protests force Lok Sabha adjournment - Feb 23, 2011
- Yashwant Sinha quips over Pranab becoming president - May 07, 2012