Chidambaram losses then wins seat in India election 2009May 16th, 2009 - 7:51 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
After first loosing his seat by 3,555 votes, India’s Union Minister of Home Affairs, Palaniappan Chidambaram, was later told he had in fact won after a recount was conducted.
Chidambaram, one of the most prominent cabinet ministers of the ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA) coalition government led by Indian Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh, was at the center of a Bush-style shoe-throwing incident last month when a Sikh journalist, Jarnail Singh, a reporter with Hindi daily Dainik Jagran, hurled a shoe at him during a press conference.
Chidambaram, who has held the seat for the Sivaganga constituency of Tamil Nadu covering the southern-most part of India, was initialy informed by election officials he had lost to Raja Kannappan from the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) party
Chidambaram immediately asked for a recount and a check found he had in fact retained the seat.
More than 428.4 million people, or about 60 percent of eligibale voters turned out re-elect the Congress party of India (INC)-lead coalition of Dr. Mammohan Singh for a second, successive five-year term.
In doing so Dr Singh becomes only the second prime minister in the country’s history to win back-to-back parliamentary elections. The first to do so was India’s first prime minister Jawahar Lal Nehru.
- Chidambaram hit by court ruling, opposition wants him out (Second Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Chidambaram in dock for poll result, opposition demands resignation (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- War of words breaks out between Chidambaram and Jayalalithaa (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
- Shoes thrown at others, Pawar first to be assaulted (Timeline) - Nov 24, 2011
- Court rejects Chidambaram's plea - Aug 04, 2011
- Congress declines comment on Jaya's charge against Chidambaram - Jun 15, 2011
- Jayalalithaa's remark contempt of court: Chidambaram - Jun 14, 2011
- Blazing a trail, Jayalalithaa fires salvo at Chidambaram, Maran (Roundup) - Jun 14, 2011
- Jayalalithaa springs surprise, attacks Chidambaram (Intro Roundup) - Jun 14, 2011
- Advani jibe at PM on Emergency - Jan 05, 2012
- Chidambaram wins in Sivaganga after re-counting - May 16, 2009
- Tilak Kumar elected INS president - Sep 13, 2012
- Congress rebuffs BJP's demand for Chidambaram's ouster - Jun 07, 2012
- Throwing footwear: A trend to showcase anger - Oct 18, 2011
- Chidambaram never won election, must quit: Jayalalithaa (Lead) - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: aiadmk, bush style, cabinet ministers, coalition government, congress party of india, dainik, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, dravida munnetra kazhagam, india election, india inc, indian prime minister, jawahar lal nehru, manmohan singh, minister of home affairs, palaniappan chidambaram, parliamentary elections, progressive alliance, s union, style shoe